Macrium Update

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Antarctica, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

o_O

I have been using V5 for the last 2 months!

3. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Sorry.:oops:

4. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

So how is v5 compared to 4.2?
    I have yet to try the new version.
    Was it worth the upgrade price?

5. Raza0007

Unless you get a good deal, I would stick with v4 for the time being as it works with windows 7 and hopefully will keep on working as long as Win 7 is not changed drastically in SP2. I upgraded as I got an excellent deal during bulk purchase. I would have waited otherwise.

Other reasons for upgrade are that anything new will only be added to v5 from now on and v4 will be relegated to security updates only. Also considering that after upgrade you are eligible to receive free updates/support for that version and looking at the amount of time v4 was around, a down payment on v5 now would ensure that you don't have to spend any more money on a backup utility for at least 2 years.

I have not noticed any improvement in v5 vs v4. Granted the rescue media is now Win 7 based vs v4's Vista based, but if v4's rescue media worked for you then you would not notice any difference after upgrading to v5.

6. Divenow

Divenow Registered Member

Oh, there is no v5 free version. Only 4.2 free.

7. Raza0007

The parts upgraded in v5 are not available in the free version anyway, so this probably the reason they have not released any free version of v5.

What you are getting now in the free version of v4.2 is what you will get if there was a free v5. So, you are not missing anything.

8. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I'm tempted...just got a 50% off email from Macrium since I own v4.x...I had no issue with v4.x, but never used it as much as IFW/IFL and DS...

9. Raza0007

You can try out v5 before you decide to buy it. You can restore your v5 images using the v4 recovery environment as well. Macrium is a nice reliable utility and among the top backup utilities around.

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

As a 4 pack household user of v4.x with additions, I paid $100 for it not very long ago. So, when the v5 was released two months ago, I was ticked to find out that I have to pay $60 for the upgrade, which is 50% from the regular price. Everytime, I open v4.x I am bombarded with this.

So, when I got the got a 50% off email from Macrium for limited time offer, I thought now this is great. I have only to pay $30 for the upgrade. Was I wrong, they still want me to pay $60 for the upgrade, which is regularly 50% off for the owners of v4.x

The email is nothing but a sham.

11. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Thanks for the reply and info.
    I'm still on Xp and Reflect is working great so I guess there's no reason for me to upgrade at this time.

12. napoleon1815

In your case (on XP) I'd stay on v4.x for sure.

13. draman

draman Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  14. napoleon1815

15. tgell

tgell Registered Member

The free version now allows a person to build a WinPE 3 rescue CD with Raid support which is a big plus! Also now supports scheduled backups.

16. Yakuman

Yakuman Registered Member

Any noticeable speed improvements, especially on restores?

17. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

18. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

To move from Reflect (Free) version 4 to version 5, do I have to download the new version and install it? All I get when I use the internal updater in version 4 is an add to buy version 5. Right now I have 4.2.3775

19. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

You can download and install on top of previous version without issue. When I try the apps updater it also doesn't offer latest build. Hope that helps :)

-http://support.macrium.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3819-

Edit : Added link to support forum.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  20. rrrh1

rrrh1 Registered Member

After Upgrading to 5.0.4076 (Free), the build PE function builds an unusable PE disk. The launcher for the program never shows up.

The Previous version 5.0.4033 (Free) worked, well at least it ran on boot-up.

It seems to be in the package that is used to build the PE disk about 7.8 mb, "WAIKFiles00x86.exe".

The shutdown button did not work left a Confirmation button on the taskbar, used the power button on the PC to power down and removed the cd before it was booted on restart.

rrrh1 (arch1)

21. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

Yeah, I saw that topic on their forum but it was posted before the free version 5 came out. I was just making sure that the internal updater wasn't supposed to be offering the new version now and mine still not working for some reason. I guess if a v4 user wants to update to v5 you to have to download and install.

Thanks for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.