macrium reflect software?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by surfbug, Jun 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfbug

surfbug Registered Member

I am macrium reflect clone software on windows 7. Do I put entire c drive and copy it to I drive in the destination on my external HD?

2. surfbug

I just put my detail. I will copy my entire hd to my external hd . Which do I choose Select source drives and image destination or drag partition to the destination disk? Do I mark mbr disk 1 dell unity but Is it correct? I don’t mark it beside the mb?

Attached Files:

3. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Are you trying to image or to clone? You say you want to copy, but you're showing the imaging dialog.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just click next the way you have it. That's what is required to back up and restore windows.

5. surfbug

How do I clone my entire hd from C drive to I drive on my external hd. I just bought a large hd? Thanks for helping me

6. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Why are you trying to clone to an external HD? Or are you really trying to image your drive?

7. RobertSF

RobertSF Registered Member

I think you really want to image your HD, not clone it. The difference is this.

When you clone, you make an exact copy of your HD. It's like duplicating a CD or DVD. You can only have one clone of C: drive on I: drive. The main purpose of cloning is to move your HD to a new HD.

When you image, you also make an exact copy of your HD, but Reflect puts it all into one big image file. That way, you can image your C: drive several times to your I: drive. Each time, the image file will have a different name.

Normally, you only image your C: partition and other partitions you create, but not the recovery or other partitions the manufacturer created. I don't know if partitions the manufacturer created can be restored if your entire HD fails, but I suppose you could image them one time. Since they do not change, you don't have to image them over and over like you do your C: partition.

I hope that helps! :)

8. surfbug

I unmarked the recovery but I tried to unmark dell utility but it doesn't work. Is it ok?

Attached Files:

9. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I would put a checkmark on everything. Should the HD fail and be replaced, it's better to have everything back including recovery partitions.

10. surfbug

Backup as an xml backup definition file

Do I unmark the backup as an xml backup definition file before clickinging on ok?

Attached Files:

11. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Why not? You should really read the manual. If you want to save the backup definition, do so.

12. RobertSF

Re: Backup as an xml backup definition file

If you save the backup definition file, you will be able to run it again without having to make the selections again. I agree that you should really read the help. Learn about the different types of backups, and try to decide on an ongoing backup strategy. Once you know the basics, it won't seem so confusing.

13. surfbug

I just backed up my entire hd but I saw I driver (ex ice) on my computer and then clicked inside the external hd and I saw J(ex Joey)driver. is it ok or not?

Attached Files:

14. RobertSF

Yes, that's ok. When you make an image of your hard drive on drive I, the process creates a single file on drive I. It looks like you went to the Restore menu and selected "Explore Image." To look inside the image, the computer needs to assign a temporary drive letter to the image. If you notice, you can click on J: and select a different drive letter, as long as the drive letter is not already in use.

In the screen you show above, if you click Ok, Explorer will open and show you the new drive J:. You can then drag files from J: to C: if you want, but you cannot delete or modify files on J:. When you want to stop using drive J:, go to the Restore menu and select "Detach." If you wish to restore the entire hard drive, don't use "Explore." Instead, go to the Restore menu and select "Restore."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.