Macrium Reflect Features

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Gorkster, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Don't know for WIN XP3. For WIN7 you need WAIK and for WIN VISTA you need BARTPE plugins. Maybe, someone else can pitch in and help you out.

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. Download the Macrium Free version and install it. Then go and try to build the ISO. See what it tells you!

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

WAIK is supported on windows xp sp2. As for the bootable PE is concerned, it is an operating system itself and does not need another operating system to work. Just make sure you have enough RAM, it was 512 for Vista based winpe, should be the same for the windows 7 based winpe too.

3. rkasse

rkasse Registered Member

I downloaded and installed Macrium Reflect Free V5 build 4620. Very easy install with no problems. I created a Full Backup of my XP32 sp3 machine with about 36GB of data. The backup took 36 minutes vs. 1 hour using Drive Cloner Rx. I’m very impressed with the Macrium software.

I used their Create Bootable CD wizard to create a WINPE boot CD. The programmers did an excellent job of making this task simple and foolproof. The boot CD worked flawlessly.

I’m a very happy camper!

Very much thanks to everyone here that helped to point me in the right direction.

Edit: changed XP to indicate XP32 sp3

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  4. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I like it too, thanks to KOR for his suggestions. :thumb:

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Does Macrium bootable WINPE usb media allow image backup function or only restoration?

6. aladdin

I have few questions for you now?

You mentioned that you have Rollback Rx installed on your computer.

1. Do you image your computer while Rollback Rx is installed?
    2. If yes, do you perform COLD (outside Windows) imaging?
    3. If yes, do you perform sector to sector imaging?
    4. If yes, why?
    5. If no, then you are in very dangerous grounds!

Best regards,

KOR!

7. aladdin

Both!

But why you want to perform COLD (outside Windows) image instead of HOT (within Windows) image?

Best regards,

KOR!

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Because my Volume Show Service is not functioning. So no imaging software can use the Volume Shadow Copies.

Best Wishes,
    ams963

9. aladdin

Image for Windows (IFW) doesn't use Volume Show Service (VSS), it uses PHYLock!

Best regards,

KOR!

10. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Very good question KOR. I love the Windows backing up and I only boot to restore. And when I do boot, it's easy and fast, thanks to booting the restore from bootmenu+hard drive...thanks to a certain person, who shall remain nameless lol :D

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I was reading on cnet.com, and they say, "Phylock can take a long time and fail periodically. "

Have you found that in your experience KOR?

http://download.cnet.com/Image-for-Windows/3000-2242_4-10149389.html

12. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I did not know. Anyways, I'm not into paid programs right now. I 'm thinking of using macrium free after seeing everyone's post here. :)

13. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Is WAIK available for Win XP SP3 32bit?

14. aladdin

I believe that what Raza said in his above post.

Image For Windows (IFW) and PHYLock is the best and most stable. The competition with Volume Shadow Copy (VSS) of Microsoft is way, way behind.

Best regards,

KOR!

15. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

So I can just download, install and go ahead with creating winpe using macrium even though waik is supported for xp sp2 and not sp3 because winpe is in itself an OS and does not need to rely on another OS?

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

If I use the linux boot usb media feature that comes built-in with macrium reflect free:

1. Can I create Cold image and restore it?
    2. Do I need to modify my BIOS settings to boot from that usb media every time I need to create or restore a cold image?
    3. Will creating a bootmenu using Easybcd eliminate the need for modifying BIOS settings to boot from the usb media every time I need to take a cold image or restore it?
    4. Is there a chance that creating cold image or restoring cold image may fail just because I am using linux boot media instead of winpe?
    5. How long would it take for a cold image to be created? And how long to be restored?
    6. Is there any difference in speed between creating cold image and hot image?

Best Wishes,
    ams963

17. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

WAIK installation requires winxp sp2 or above, so it should work on xp sp3. If you have already made a Winpe using WAIK then it can be used on any system as long as the RAM requirements are met, as it is itself an OS.

18. aladdin

You have two operating systems on USB media, WINPE (Windows 7) and Linex. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. But it shouldn't make any difference to your BIOS for USB media. I am more familiar with Windows therefore I use WINPE.

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. I prefer HOT imaging vs COLD imaging. Never had any problems with HOT imaging. While HOT imaging, once the snapshot is created and the drive is locked, one can go ahead and work on the PC.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh okay. Now I understand. Does Macrium Reflect free edition linux boot feature support win xp sp3? Is it also a os itself?

20. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Okay thanks.

21. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

That Easybcd thing is not available for win xp

22. aladdin

You don't need EasyBCD to build either WINPE and/or Linex, media USB.

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. The EasyBCD is have them available as bootmenu.

23. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh I see. What if that usb media(usb flash drive) get's lost? Can I built another Linux boot media in another flash drive?

And let's say I've built a linux rescue usb flash drive. Now what do I need to do in order to make a cold image? I start windows and insert the usb drive? I restart my pc and on booting I insert my usb drive? I restart my pc, insert the flash drive and modify my BIOS to boot from that usb flash drive?

If it's the latter case, do I need to modify BIOS settings every time I would need to make a cold image or restore one?

If I make a linux boot usb flash drive, can I still use that usb flash drive to transfer files from one to another or share files?

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Are you absolutely sure I can make an image and restore using linux based recovery media?

In the screen it says, 'Linux provides a compact and efficient rescue environment to restore all Windows operating system.

Note: This option enables you to restore your imaged partitions to exactly the same size and position as they were at the time the image was created.'

And for WinPe it says, 'The Windows WinPe environment provides all macrium image, restore and cloning functionality. It also supports a wider range of pc hardware than linux.'

25. rkasse

rkasse Registered Member

I noted in my post #28 above I was able to use Macrium's boot cd wizard to create a WINPE boot cd on my XP32 sp3 machine which has 2gb ram.

I have modified post#28 to reflect that it was on xp32 sp3.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.