Macrium Reflect 5 screwing up file names on cloned or live image file restoration!!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Flexigav, Sep 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

Has anyone experienced strange names given to all folders, files and even the volume label on both a cloned disk or a restoration from a newly created disk image of the same OS partition done live (assume VSS program was initiated—I only used the Windows installed program to do the imaging, cloning and image restoration, not any recovery disks). Names recovered were made up of symbol characters (not alphabetical characters) and numbers. Of course the new disk would not boot as the boot program could not find any file of the name it was looking for! All the files were restored, just not with the correct, or recognizable names—not even the volume name!

This has happened to me using the latest Reflect free version (5) download on a Windows XP SP 2 OS using FAT32 disk formatting. I was just evaluating the software first on the old system, then hopefully on a Win 7 NTFS system!

2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have not had that problem after doing 20+ restores. I dont use the free edition though, but that should of course not matter. Strange problem. As I understand it Macrium takes the image bit by bit and logically restores it bit by bit. Is it the same if you mount the image and look there?

3. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

I have restored several times on 3 separate computers, never encountered that problem...

4. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

same here. why do you try uninstalling and reinstalling the software and then doing a clean image.

5. Flexigav

Flexigav Registered Member

At this stage I can't blame Macrium Reflect for the imaging & recovery test problems...I have found faults in the hardware of the system I was using to test MR. It is old IDE technology using a 40 strand ribbon cable and master slave setup for the two drives sharing it. I found the installation configuration wrong with one master and one CS drive on the one share. Adding to that, one hard disk drive on the other IDE channel has gone a bit flaky. So I will resume testing Macrium Reflect some time later when I get these other issues out of the way.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks for the update. Hopefully Macrium will work for you too when your issues are gone, if not, there are many other imaging solutions. I have now done so many backups and restores without any problems (windows 7 64bit and windows 8 64bit and Linux Mint 32 bit) that Macrium starts to come to the same level of reliability as (in my experience) Shadow Protect or Image for windows, which I use as reference when comparing imaging software :)

But, just so I dont sound like complete fan-boy: there are no software that works with every possible combination of hardware/software configuration there is out there. So just because it works for me doesn't automatically mean it works for all :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.