Macrium Reflect 5 released

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by buckshee, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Running Windows Vista. HP Laptop.

Acronis Trueimage and ShadowProtect (Trial version) works perfect and finds and locates all my hard drives, including my USB hard drive.

But Paragon, Macrium and EaseUS Rescue Medium fails to locate and pick up my external USB hard drive..and Paragon freezes up and refuses to load when I turn on my USB hard drive.. and Macrium fails to even pick up my C: drive when booting the rescue medium to restore a saved image. :thumbd:

ATI and SP proves that descent quality programs WORK and the free ones do not.

As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for.

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Why don't you try the paid versions of Macrium and Paragon? Their WinPe based rescue media has a wide range of drivers and should be able to pick up your external hard drive.

The free versions are meant for basic imaging. They are purposely designed to not offer advanced functionality or compatibility, otherwise no one will buy their paid versions.

3. napoleon1815

napoleon1815 Registered Member

I would stick with what works...and what you are comfortable with, paid or not. It sounds like you really like Acronis.

4. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

Totally nonsavvy and new to imaging software - installed free M Reflect 5. Tried to make a rescue USB, but wasnt able - download and install of some 1,7 Gb for the Win PE software seemed to work OK. Used a 2 gb USB -is that to small - how many Gb must the USB be?

Best Regards

5. Rivalen

Found a 4Gb USB and clicked the buttons and got the answers all was well. But when I restarted Reflect it always says I havent created the Rescue disc/USB. Does that depend on that I still got in wrong or that this popup must be manually shut down because it doesnt automatically recognize that I made a Rescue disc/USB?

What files should there be in this rescue USB to be complete? I think I did right but not sure.

Where can I find a tutorial on Rescue disk and how to do backup of files and folders (not sure if thats included in free) and how to create an image and rollback to an previous image?

Best Regards

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Anyone know when Macrium are getting around to fixing their rescue boot medium?

At current, the Macrium boot CD doesn't even see my C: drive so I am unable to restore any images. :thumbd: o_O

7. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

8. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

9. Rivalen

Mine is free downloaded the other day.
    Best Regards

10. Raza0007

See this update on Nov 9 that was supposed to fix a bug in the winpe waik ed. Hopefully downloading the new waik builder files will resolve your problems.

11. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What do you mean the new waik builder? What new waik builder?

12. Raza0007

I believe you need to download certain files for building a winpe rescue cd for the free version of Macrium. I have never done it myself as I have the paid version of Macrium. A bug was identified in the previous version, so you need to build a new winpe rescue cd by downloading the updated files.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  13. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Does anyone know how to create a WinPE or Windows driver based rescue and boot USB stick?

14. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

I'm looking at the paid versions, namely "Standard". I notice one of the features is "Password protection and encryption". Does this mean it's able to backup & restore password protected and/or encrypted files/folders, and that the free version is not? Or that you can password protect & encrypt the image? Both?

Also "Recovery from Windows boot menu". This seems to be a very handy feature. Has anybody actually used it and can testify to how well it works? Would this method work any better/worse? I assume what it does is when you hit F12 during boot up (XP), it puts an option there on the list along with other things like "boot from CD"... something like "boot from Macrium Reflect image"?

I'd love to hear from someone(s) that have thoroughly tested this product, namely the Free & Standard versions. It'd be great if Lonewolf could chime in, as I think I recall him having good familiarity with Macrium.

Thanks

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I've not used this feature but the way I understand it you can password protect an image,encrypt an image as well as encrypt the password.
    I believe this to be available in the paid version only.
    Although I'm using v4.2 and not v5.

Using the "Recovery from Windows boot menu" option (Which I use) you get a choice in your boot screen to either boot in "Windows" or in "Macrium Reflect System Recovery" which eliminates the need for a recovery cd.
    But I would still recommend making a recovery cd (mine is the Windows PE cd) just in case.
    I've had to use the cd only once when I could not even get the boot screen. (from a bad install I believe) I was very glad that I had made one for just such an occasion.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  16. Raza0007

It means you can encrypt and password protect your image file, so somebody else can not mount it and see the contents inside. As far as backing up is concerned, both paid and free versions of Macrium can backup encrypted files and folders.

The recovery option is handy as it adds an option to windows boot menu to boot into the Macrium recovery option. You do not need to hit any key. When the computer boots, it will pause at the boot menu for up to 30 seconds for you to select whether you want to boot into windows or Macrium. You also do not need to add this option all the time, you can just add it right before you plan to restore and during restore choose the default option to "restore the mbr from the image", this will overwrite your boot menu option to the default one so, you do not have to pause at the boot screen all the time.

17. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Thank you for the replies. I have 2 more questions:

1) Do you need to have any processes/services running in real-time in order to get the boot option?

2) Can you have several images to choose from on the boot menu? I personally like to keep 5 images: 1- Nothing but the OS. 2- The OS + updates. 3- The previous + tweaks. 4- The previous + essential programs I know I'll always want (i.e. CCleaner, Revo, Puran). 5- The previous + data. This way I can choose exactly how I want to start over again.

Thanks again.

18. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Does anyone know how to create a Macrium WinPE or Windows driver based rescue and boot USB stick?

19. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

you can download the hp usb format tool. then i use imageburn and use a win 7 disc to create a boot file. then i format the usb stick with the hp tool and check make bootable and select the bootable files. or if you can find it microsoft released a usb tool to make a win7 installation on a usb stick...

20. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I don't have W7, I have Vista installed.

Any ideas?

21. philby

philby Registered Member

Does anyone know how to create a Macrium WinPE or Windows driver based rescue and boot USB stick?

I think this might be what you're after TheMozart.

Instructions are for V4, but I've made 2 sticks this way with V5.

Don't forget, the required 'c:\boot\macrium' will be hidden.

philby

22. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

will work with vista also but the above looks like it will also work

23. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

1) Only one process related to Macrium Reflect always running here............ReflectService.exe

24. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

What does this mean?

Select Disk n

What is n ?

When I type Select Disk n it says it's not found.

How do I find my USB stick?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  25. Raza0007

That service is optional, only needed to mount the images. You can set the service to manual, then it will only start when you need to mount an image.

On the boot menu, you only get two options either to boot into windows or Macrium, once you are inside Macrium just point it to your images folder and it will load all the images and then you can choose which one you want to restore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.