Macrium Reflect 5.2.6377 released - 05 Sept 2013

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by FanJ, Sep 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Macrium Reflect 5.2.6377 has been released - 05 Sept 2013

http://www.macrium.com/
    http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

=====

Thanks to art22gg at DSLR Software forum:

Macrium Reflect..Ver..5.2.6377..Sept.5/13
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28625546-Updated-Macrium-Reflect.Ver.5.2.6377.Sept.5-13

Macrium Reflect..Ver..5.2.6375..Sept.4/13
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28622012-Updated-Macrium-Reflect.Ver.5.2.6375.Sept.4-13

=====

Two remarks/questions by me:

I don't know where to find the changelog at the Macrium site.
    I don't know from where to download it at the Macrium site; I mean: avoiding CNET.

So, if you guru's know the answers, by all means ;)

2. claykin

claykin Registered Member

3. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

Just keep using their downloader. It will always grab the latest.

4. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thank you, claykin.

=====

Thanks MarcP, but I don't understand your reply.
    I was referring to the CNET downloader which usually has its own issues. So, my question was about an non-CNET download.

Anyway, I posted the thread here as an heads-up as I didn't saw it already posted. It looked to me important for the Macrium Reflect users.
    I have no knowledge about the program nor its site. (maybe I will be interested in the near future, but then I will start a separate thread).

5. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

The downloader you're getting from CNet has nothing to do with CNet. It is a Macrium downloader.

Get it once and use it again and again for each new versions.

6. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

In that case I stand corrected.

7. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

That's how they get around the CNet hosting fees. One downloader that never needs updating and takes very little bandwidth. And therefore avoid such fees with agreeing with a CNet downloader. Quite clever.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  8. claykin

claykin Registered Member

CNET has the nerve to charge hosting fees with all the extra crapware they try to trick you into downloading along with your desired product?

9. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Not really!

For the FREE version, you download it once from CNET and then from the FREE version use it again and again for updates directly from Macrium Reflect.

The PAID version is directly from Macrium Reflect, again you download it once from the link they provide you and and then from the PAID version use it again and again for updates directly from Macrium Reflect.

Pay money and you don't have to download from CNET. Simple!

Best regards,

10. aladdin

BTW, the FREE version is not time limited. It is functional forever. It lacks few things such as incremental and differential imaging, which is part of the PAID version. It has scheduling. It even has scripts so that one can create very easily WinRE and WinPE too!

Best regards,

11. aladdin

Hi Fanj,

There is no need for head-ups for Macrium Reflect updates. When you start the program, it checks for updates. If there is an update, it gives you the change log and an option to download the update directly from their site. This is true for both FREE and PAID version.

Macrium Reflect doesn't have any services running in the background, even when incremental or differential imaging is scheduled. Very good on resources.

Best regards,

12. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Softpedia has the offline installer (not stubb)

httx://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Back-Up-and-Recovery/Macrium-Reflect-Free-Edition.shtml

13. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi aladdin,

Thank you for explaining it. Much appreciated!

On a side note:
    If I would be using it to make a backup-image (or restore an image), I would definitely be doing it while being off-line. In that case the program would not be able to check for updates. So, maybe there might still be a need for an heads-up for updates. BTW, if I would be using it (the Pro version), I would use a bootable CD.
    Anyway, I don't have knowledge about it.

Best regards,
    Jan

14. aladdin

Hi Jan,

I use the PRO version and have family license, and every once a while I start the program on one of my machines to see if there is an update. As soon as one starts the program it checks for update and gives the option to download. I download the update, copy it from temp directory to my special directory and then install it on all my computers.

I do HOT automatic imaging and then automatic incremental imaging based on schedule. Never had a restoring problem as it is a solid program. Also, once it does it work, no services are running in the background, as some imaging programs do to keep track of changes.

I see you like COLD imaging. For the PRO version you don't need the bootable CD. It has an option to install itself as a bootmenu.

Best regards,

Mohamed

15. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Mohamed,

Thanks again.

Do we have here at Wilders or is there at the Macrium site a tutorial?

What are the pro's and contra's of using a bootable CD versus a bootmenu?

Whoops, I come more from old days when using the bootable CD of Acronis True Image 9.

I haven't yet decided with which imaging program to go when I have a new PC.

Best regards,
    Jan

16. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

The boot menu is more convenient and faster if the harddrive is still functional. The boot CD is the last resort if the HD is replaced or the data is hosed to the point of not booting at all.

17. aladdin

Hi Jan,

I see MarcP has given you an excellent reply on using a bootable CD versus a bootmenu. You can very easily have both with Macrium Reflect.

To me the best imaging program out there is Macrium Reflect and the second best is AX64. Having both of them at the same time is a very good idea and I believe that MarcP will agree with me.

Hopefully, very soon in near future, AX64 might beat Macrium Reflect. Here is the thread for AX64:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339999

Best regards,

Mohamed

18. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thank you both Mohamed and MarcP !

19. MarcP

MarcP Registered Member

20. WSFfan

WSFfan Registered Member

21. Carver

Carver Registered Member

22. oliverjia

oliverjia Registered Member

cool, just updated.
    Macrium Reflect is truly a piece of fine software.

23. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thank you, MarcP.

24. Rich M

Rich M Registered Member

I really have to agree with you guys as a long time Acronis user, Macrium is such a refreshing break from all the backwards interfaces of Acronis and especially the catastrophic failures now with Secure Boot, UEFI Bios and Windows 8. And I love it because it is simple enough for any user to use and does what an imaging software is supposed to do without all the nonsensical choices and options of Acronis True Image. In the past the only issue that kept me away was the speed of restore which could have taken hours longer and they have fixed all that to be quite comparable now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.