Macrium error - 13 - broken pipe

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Enfrance, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enfrance

Enfrance Registered Member

I've started a new thread because after a serach I could not find any reference to the above.

I am using a trial version of Reflect - just to try it having read so many good reports. I have XP running on an elderly (6 years) Acer desktop which I will replace soon hence why I would like to clone the 300GB hard drive. I have formatted a 400GB WD external drive so that I could clone a copy of my working hard drive to it. I went through the intro part of Reflect, set the size of the drive to the same amount and then started the cloning procedure.

After 1% of the overall progress and 100% of the current progress, ie. copying GLOBAL ROOT .... VolumeShadowCopy1 the cloning procedure stopped and a warning in red came up 'Clone failed - Read failed - 13 - Broken pipe'

I'll refrain from silly gags about plumbing but can anyone please explain what I am doing wrong?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

3. Enfrance

Many thanks, STAPP for that link - so much for my search.

I tried chkdsk but I had failed to explain something which I didn't realise was important. When I turn on my computer I no longer see the BIOS pages. I have a completely black screen until the cursor shows up and then the Windows log on screen. This started some months back and I was advised that the graphics card was on the blink.

As a consequence I cannot see what exactly chkdsk is doing although when I tried it via 'run' in Startup it did some work and then reverted to the Windows home screen without comment that I could see. I looked on the Western Digital website and have run their diagnostic program and there does seem to be problems on my hard drive.

I will look for a repair program to see if that might fix it. Frankly, I suspect that the time to buy a new computer is at hand :rolleyes: Thanks again.

4. Flora

Flora Registered Member

Hi Enfrance.

You didn't change your BIOS setting to Secure Boot at any time, did you?

5. Enfrance

Flora, to be frank I wouldn't know how but thanks for your contribution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.