Macrium backup destination

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by nichos, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nichos

nichos Registered Member

Hi,

I tried the Macrium backup on my XP HD & end up with 52 or 31 GB file to store, which is too large for CD/DVD or partitions on my HD.

As an OAP external drive is expensive.

Is this backup only for Companies?

thanx ......nick

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Have you tried changing the compression? (though I don't know if this will make that much difference).

Have you thought about storing the back up on a second partition? (if you have one / can create one).

External HD is the way to go - I'd offset the cost against the royal pain of the alternatives to restoring an image post-disaster.

philby

Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I bought a 1.5 TeraByte external hard drives for 90 Euro (typical price) and that solved all my hard drive space issues. They are worth every penny.

Before I had one of those (or other available external drives), I used to make backups of my system drive (C: ) onto a second (data) partition. The trick is to try to keep C: as small as possible and save all your data and maybe install half the programs too on the second partition. If you still don't have enough space, that's too bad.

Macrium's compression is pretty good, so switching to another backup program is not going to solve your issue.

4. nichos

nichos Registered Member

Thanx all ........nick

5. nichos

nichos Registered Member

Thanx All,

Yes with compression Hich went to 12.x gbs

managed to do the Barte one but was very complecated for me.

I thought the Linux would not do on XP installations. Will try it on my spare

HD. .........nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.