mac computer sells more then microsoft

Discussion in 'hardware' started by mantra, Jan 29, 2015.

1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    only for the information
    is an Hackintosh a pc with the same hardware?
    or is a pc with osx installalled?

2. mantra

mantra Registered Member

hi
    only for the information
    i was curious and i was not able to virutalize with virtualbox but with VMware Workstation 11 i was able very quickly to virtualize montain lion, maverik and yosemite
    only for information

thanks
    cheers

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

4. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I thought so. I'm doing a bit of research into the different models until I commit myself, and I haven't totally decided on the screen size yet, but I'm narrowing it down. In a few weeks I'll make a decision lol.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I also had zero luck with VirtualBox.

A link re using VMware would be sweet :)

6. mirimir

A Hackintosh is a machine built with components comparable to those in Macs, often from the same manufacturers, and suitably tweaked to boot OSX. Typically, you end up paying less than half as much, and you have much more freedom to overclock etc.

7. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I may well do that. It's difficult to be totally objective though. I have a Levono laptop preinstalled with Ubuntu. To me it is simpler to use than Windows and more secure. There are a lot of similarities with Mac. I like Win 7 but I do not like the way Windows is going. After my experience with Vista, possibly the worst OS ever coded, I really feel the need to explore alternatives to Microsoft. I just couldn't justify buying Win 8 and 10 probably won't be properly finished for a long time. At the end of the day, I can do everything I want or need to do with Ubuntu, maybe with some tweaking occasionally. I expect the same or better with a Mac. The sheer security advantage is as appealing as anything else. Plus, I think UNIX based operating systems have more relevancy now. It might not be curtains for Windows quite yet, but I don't think it is the future for myself personally. And Apple products are usually very reliable and well constructed.

8. mirimir

I'm curious about compiler options.

I've seen some odd comments about workarounds required. For example:
    https://pond.imperialviolet.org/

9. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

This seems to be the source for the yosemite hackintosh builds. Seems they even have AMD64 working but there is some dancing to the install.

It appears you get access to the Apple services also from what I've read so you can get the total package.

"You must download DMG file to prepare a Bootable USB
    The ISO File is to use with VMWare / Virtual BOX / Virtual Machine or If your computer doesnt support USB Booting https://hackintosh.zone/public/style_emoticons/skype/tongue.png (it wont fit on 4.7 DvD)
    Then prepare the Bootable USB"

http://goo.gl/wAhniX

Google really likes OS X

http://blog.chromium.org/2009/06/google-chrome-sandboxing-and-mac-os-x.html

Sandboxing is a technique that Google Chrome employs to help make the browser more secure, and was discussed in a previous blog post. On Windows, getting a process sandboxed in a way that's useful to us is a pretty complicated affair. The relevant source code consists of over 100 files and is located under the sandbox/directory in Chromium's Open Source repository. But for our Mac and Linux ports, sandboxing is a very different story. On Linux there are a number of different sandboxing mechanisms available. Different Linux distributions ship with different (or no) sandboxing APIs, and finding a mechanism that is guaranteed to work on end-user's machines is a challenge. Fortunately, on Mac OS X, the OS APIs for sandboxing a process are easy to use and straightforward.[b/]

Running Chromium on Mint right now and these are the about:sandbox results.

Sandbox Status
    SUID SandboxYes
    PID namespacesYes
    Network namespacesYes
    Seccomp-BPF sandboxYes
    Yama LSM enforcingYes
    You are adequately sandboxed.

10. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Linus has a good review on Mac usage from a Windows user perspective.

youtube.com/watch?v=TReJmvn5nKY

11. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

Based on BSD & NeXt but tweaked for usability and ease of use for people who know nothing about computers, my Sister for instance, and who also have money to burn.

I was looking at them at BestBuy yesterday. I'd have to toss that keyboard and mouse for sure. I think you need $adapters$ for any other types of peripherals though if they work at all.

12. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I will never have a "Mother may I" OS. F the fruit OS.

13. mirimir

Mother knows best :rolleyes:

14. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What's the number of sales got to do with anything?
    You don't buy an Audi because it sells more than Toyota. On the contrary.
    Mrk

15. mirimir

Right, but Audi's gross might be larger than Toyota's ;)

And that's even more likely for Apple vs Microsoft, I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.