Mac app store - Opera only if over 17 years old.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Only download if over 17 yrs.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Considering I don't use Mac, I have to be missing something. Otherwise, I think I just entered the Twilight Zone. 17 or older..to use a browser? And, okay, this is the source of real confusion...an Opera VP thinks 18 or older is better? Please tell me I'm utterly confused and reading things wrong..please?

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

:D If you are younger than 17 just head over to Opera's site and download it from there.:argh:

Mac app opera.png

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

That's one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I'm making the assumption the guy was being humorous, the article doesn't hint towards humor in the least, lol.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

If that's a joke, electrocution is in order.
    Mrk

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Probably marketing scam. By Apple of course.

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Eh? By marketing it's usually meant beneficial. I don't think this would in any way, shape or form benefit Apple. Opera, on the other hand, got another plug out of it.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Might be beneficial for Apple to keep users on Safari.

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Nah, Safari is in no danger whatsoever from Opera, imho. Really the move just made Apple look incredibly stupid, from a PR/marketing perspective.

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Maybe this is a result of Apple's experience with kids downloading songs in iTunes, racking up huge bills for their parents at the end of the month on their parents Visa cards. Apple may foresee the same problem of kids downloading stuff from the app store at an alarming rate. I speak from experience where my Grand daughter downloads 5 or 6 songs at a time, totaling $50 at the end of the month. So if they make a disclaimer saying you must be 17 that gets them off the hook if your 15 year old is using your Visa on your account.

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I can see that if the entire app store has such a warning. Help me out though, is there some monthly fee with the app store itself, as well as individual app prices? The reason I ask is I can't figure out what in the world browsers of any kind are doing in the store. Opera is free, all day, all night, every day, so why is the thing in a store that requires a credit card? Also, again, unless every app in that store has the same age warning, I'm confused there too. I'm not exactly sure here how a browser needs an age rating. This whole thing doesn't seem like any sort of ploy in marketing or otherwise. Instead, it seems to me like it's Apple being its normal, completely screwball self.

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I can't figure out why Opera is even in the picture. You can access the app store from any browser by going to the Apple site. o_O

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

This is strange. I see what Ocky posted, yet when you visit the Mac App Store page, at the bottom it states:
    However, the Opera Mac App Store Preview does say: You must be at least 17 years old to download this app because it contains Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes. o_O But it is Free! :D

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

What "intense mature/suggestive themes"? Is there some hot little spokeswoman that gives you a "special thanks" for using the browser? I wonder if, and I know this is out there but bear with me, it has something to do with Opera having a Bittorrent client with it. I know, it makes no sense. I just can't come up with anything else remotely possible as a reason for this.

15. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

If these revealing themes are a byproduct of surfing the Internet, shouldn't the Safari browser be restricted to 17 and older as well? ;)

16. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Indeed it should. I don't know, I'm filing this one under "What are they smoking and why won't they give me any?".

17. Eice

Eice Registered Member

AFAIK, this is because Safari integrates and respects the parental control settings in iOS and Mac OS X, while Opera doesn't.

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

But the age of consent here is only 16 ! :p

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think I get it. As noted in the article, "For those under 17, there is a workaround. Just visit www.opera.com and download it. We do not ask for your age or your credit card number. Please, get your parents’ permission before using this browser."
    This looks like a way to get kids to use Opera as opposed to another browser. Opera's layout is already geared to adolescents and this will make it even more cool man. :cool:

20. katio

katio Guest

You should get a job at Apple PR. If they had explained it that way it would have only looked half as stupid.

Well played Opera, that really made me laugh :p

Opera: 1, Apple: FAIL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.