M$ caught spying

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by root, Feb 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. root

root Registered Member

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/29519.html
    Windows Update keeps tabs on all system software
    By John Leyden

Posted: 28/02/2003 at 10:49 GMT
    Evidence obtained by German hardware site tecChannel suggests a list of software installed on an XP machine is sent to Microsoft when users run Windows Update.
    **more at the above link**

That is a list of ALL software on the machine.
    One more reason for me not to use XP.
    I have always thought that M$ spies on Windows users. It is the obvious natural behaviour of a meglomaniac like Bill Gates. Now there is proof.
    Of course, I doubt that anything of significance will come of this. It has already been proven that not even the United States Government and judicial system can do anything to stop Billy boy.
    Some may think this is not a big deal and some will even try to justify it.
    I personally think its just the tip of an iceberg, that may never be fully uncovered. I don't think there is a conspiracy as the article might suggest. I think it is simply a total disreguard of users privacy by M$.
    Bah! :mad:

2. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

"One for the conspiracy theorists" ... indeed. My conspiracy theory is that.....ok, better not to mention it, they will be after me .... :doubt:

^Ari^

3. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi root,

It might be true but ther are no proof at all in the original article : just hints and assumptions

http://www.tecchannel.de/betriebssysteme/1126/index.html

I am no Bill fanatic but you may fectch your needed update
    on
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/fr/default.asp?corporate=true

without analyzing you PC an choose by yourself wich fixes or patches you want.

Rgds,

4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I don;t need to go read the article because I don;t doubt it for a second since the new Windows Media Players send back a list of all the media files you play with it unless you disable the function. When I did that it still tried which resulted in me using a very old version :)

5. TEL

TEL Registered Member

Hi root

tecChannel wanted to sell the full article. Did you see that?

TEL

6. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Surely to God someone here has a packet-sniffer and knows how to use it.

Seems like that would be the easiest way to verify/deny the claim - just have your packet-sniffer ready, click on WindowsUpdate and - packets ahoy! - see what gets sent back and forth during the transaction.

If you'll notice, there have also been a number of posts recently about M$ OS's wanting to send back error info reports on software other than their own (I've noticed it myself a lot, recently, here on this computer).

It doesn't really bother me though, since I always operate under the assumption that M$ doesn't just own the OS software - they own the computer, too.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that - circumstances warranting - M$ could and would be able to access anything or anyone's computer if they so desired.

It's just one of those things that don't bear thinking about too much. Pete

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Spy - a bleak outlook my friend but I can't argue the validity of what you say :-/

Afraid I;ve got no packet sniffer nor would I know how to use one; I'm more of a noob than Blaze claims to be truth be known :-(

8. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Win media Player 9 you mean? Well I threw it where it belongs to, because it appeared to be a piece of junk for me; it didn´t work at all :D I took back the older version 7.1

^Ari^

9. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Hi Pete,

That is pretty old stuff.

M-005c: Office XP Error Reporting May Send Sensitive Documents to Microsoft

http://www.ciac.org/ciac/bulletins/m-005.shtml

Microsoft Error Reporting
    Data Collection Policy
    Objective
    The Microsoft Error Reporting tool allows users to report errors to Microsoft via the Internet. When an error occurs, users with an Internet connection can immediately report the error to Microsoft. If the error report indicates that one or more third-party products were involved in causing the problem, Microsoft may send the report to those third parties. Qualified software or hardware developers (employed by Microsoft or one of its partners) will analyze the fault data and try to identify and correct the problem.

http://watson.microsoft.com/dw/1033/dcp.asp

10. controler

controler Guest

A few years ago a guy on Ebay was making his own Windows 2000
    Cd's and selling them on Ebay. I found out he did get busted by MS
    and you know how they did it? They intercepted his e-mail.
    MS then made a settlement with him. He paid a 500 dollar fine and
    promised not to copy their software again. Now how did they monitor his e-mail without his written permission?

11. Primrose

I would like to read more about that. Do you have a link ?

eBay: Den of thieves?

http://www.zdnet.com.au/newstech/ebusiness/story/0,2000024981,20223130,00.htm

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=6608

12. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Primrose - I'd wager you or one of your acquaintances have/use sniffers - ever checked out what a click on Windows Update produces?

Even though it's supposedly encrypted - couldn't that be broken? Just the fact that it's encrypted at all kind of raises a warning flag, wouldn't you think? Pete

13. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Pete, do you use the Port Explorer?
    In that case you have a sniffer included, and the new version we're beta testing right now, wow some more you will love!
    What i do like in the current version is besides the sockets spying the disabling of sending out my info, which will probably be a problem for the update site :)
    At least you have the proof at hand!

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Yes, Jooske, I do have and use PE.

However, one needs to be able to understand what one is seeing when they use the sniffer (this kind of puts me out of the loop - both brain cells are busy at the moment - not to mention the encryption issue, which makes me wonder where the "loop" went! :) ). Pete

15. controler

controler Guest

Spy1

Do you suppose they are using the same windows encryption they use in XP pro to encrypt their files or is it an MS only encryption scheme?

I do not have a link to the info on the Ebay guy. that was an e-mail he sent to me myself at one time and I didn't keep that e-mail either.

16. Primrose

Ok Controler..just wanted to see more about Microsoft reading a guys email..thanks anyway

Pete... :D

17. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hello Everyone!

I have a question. Is it absolutely necessary to get your M$ updates by "direct I.V. feed" online?? Are there no other ways?

To counter this tendency people could set up a Community Updates Computer, one that is squeaky clean. It gets the updates and can put them on disc for distribution to all in their community (free of charge of course). Or, it could act like a hardware spywall! Like a firewall but with thoroughgoing anti-spy technology. It could then redistribute the updates.

Another idea I have would be to encrypt your HD so it cannot be read!!!

These are some ideas. If companies such as M$ are going to do stuff like this, what can we do about it that will realistically benefit ourselves and our neighbors??

Or, do we just complain?

Best regards from Larry :)

18. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Hey, Larry! Good to see you here.

As Jack said, you can peruse and pick and choose your updates yourself from that other link (although speaking French would be a big plus on that one! :) ).

John - lol! Was that a "Yes", a "No" or an "NYAH! NYAH! I know but I'm not tellin'!" Pete

19. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

:) Hi Pete!

How are things? If you are having problems with translations here is a link to a free online-translator tool which really does a good job. It will do any language.

WorldLingo Translator

Just put the URL of the site in the top bar and select your preferences below and voila!

And that French site is doing what I suggested, redistribution!

Thanks,

From Larry :)

20. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Pete,

It exists in any language ;)

Here in English :

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp?corporate=true

Enjoy,

JacK

21. Primrose

A community update server for M$ updateso_Oo_O?

Do you want to go to jail..or are you just thinking out loud :D

Pete..you would not find anything...better use of your time building a more layered defenses on your OS before they shutdown the internet on the third of March..hey that is tomorrow :eek:

http://www.theregister.com/content/6/29529.html

22. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice, John, but my monitor is already starting to look like an onion.... (a very secure onion! :cool: ). Pete

23. controler

controler Guest

The internet is still working here :D
    what do you mean it will be shut down on the 3rd of March?
    was that a bad dream you had last night o_O

24. Primrose

Hi Controler,

No..not a dream..it was one of those email..did not you get yours this time o_O :D

Check your inbox.

I will see you again after monday. But I am not to sure about Pete..he will be busy scattering those wild onion seeds all over the state..and with all that rain we have..I will be busy all spring weeding the garden. :-*

Hugs guy ;)

John
    Posted: 28/02/2003 at 18:33 GMT

A chain letter being distributed via email today bizarrely predicts that the Internet will stop working on Monday.

The email claims that the so-called "Year 2003 Bug" was discovered on 23 February, and that essential Internet equipment will be triggered to stop working on the 030303 date.

According to the chain letter "No one can predict how much and how long the outage could be for. Even the experts have disagreed on the time length, some saying 24 hours, others suggesting it could be until network administrators patch the firmware."

http://www.theregister.com/content/6/29529.html

25. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Oh, Pete's still here, never fear.

Have reached the "end of the Internet" several times - it just starts all over again! :D Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.