Lynksys WRT55AG lockups - Please help

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Datagg, Mar 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Please if anyone can help me here i would appreciate it. This wireless router keeps on dropping the internet.. I purchased this router primarily for the A channel as this is the best to use with the Media Center transmissions. So I have the router directly hooked up to my computer and the wireless side going to the xbox360.

So, sporadicly, doesn't seem to be any pattern to it, the internet will just drop on my computer, it takes me to pull the power cable to the router then plug back in for it to continue. it will also when it locks up like this, stop the transmission to the xbox360 also..its like the entire router just freezes up. The light still blink, and at appears to be working, yet it is not.

I have updated to the newest bios, yet this did not help. i contacted lynksys and they were no help either, i was just playing an online game, and the internet just stopped.... im so sick of this. Ive had this router for 2 months now, and im ready to smash it with a hammer.

Can anyone figure why it is doing this? is there another dual channel router i can buy that works. Seeing as though the A band is best for media center, it would appear im limited to what i can buy here. Help is appreciated....

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

3. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Thank you for your reply. And i appreciate that at least one person in here cares enough to step up.

At http://www.dslreports.com/forum/linksys they gave a few suggestions, in the end nothign worked though, i guess this router is just a piece of crap.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

woops sorry missed this topic
    i have a linksys router at home that sits in the box since thew wireless locks up on that one as well.
    so try to get a refund if you can and buy a good router
    lodore

5. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Many Linksys routers have a problem in that they do not seem to be able to release their cache after it becomes full. When you power it down and power it back up this flushes the cache manually. Linksys support seems like a problem information gathering department to report to marketing. They are less than useless.

Although we are not endorsing any particular brand Netgear holds both the current title for performance and uptime with no problems. If you are considering a new router then do not get an N router and do get a MIMO router.

6. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Thanks all for the replies. The only reason i went with the Linksys in the first place was for it's "A" pipe which is best suited for my Xbox 360 using Media center. I had a netgear unit, that was wireless g, yet the transmission to the 360 for video playback was horrid. The wireless adapter for the 360 is for A and G channels, yet the G isn't recommended for video and they were right, it was terrible. i subscribe to Vongo , which is a movie service. So when I got the linksys for the "a" pipe, i was registering high enough transmission levels for HDTV. I was estactic, then the dropping issues began, on direct wired side(computer), and on the wireless end(Xbox 360).

I have searched for an alternative wireless router with the "a" channel, yet cant seem to find any.

Do you guys know of one? if so, I will purchase it, and retire this lynksys router to the hammer gods.

Thanks again for the replies/

7. Q Section

8. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Thank you. yes I have seen this one before, yet i cant seem to find anyone who has it. Newegg, doesnt..even on the netgear site themselves, they say it is discontinued.

EDIT:

i see its being offered on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...coliid=&qid=&sr=&seller=&colid=&condition=new

ive never ordered from them before. i wonder if they are good. i also see refurbished models for half the price. Would you even go that route. I wish i could find it being sold at one of my normal places i purchase from, Newegg, Tigerdirect etc.

9. Q Section

To find it you might check here.

10. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Sweet,,, Thank you

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i have heard that the xbox wireless adaptor isnt very reliable and cuts out quite alot.
    have you tryed the wireless with another device?
    e.g. laptop?
    lodore

12. Datagg

Datagg Registered Member

Thank you for your reply

The 360 side once the router is transmitting works great. I would tend to agree with you that it would be the 360 giving out, if it wasn't for the fact that the hard wired side(this computer) would also lose the internet also. The router just locks up and takes a power disconnect to get it to work again. Just prior to the response back to you as a matter of fact, I had to pull the power cable to the router to even do what im doing now. It happens at least 3 times a day, and more even if I am away from the comp for any certain length of time.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

ok it was just a thought.
    try and get a refund that router is not healthy:D

14. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You might try changing channels (you're probably on either 6 or 10, try an odd number that others aren't likely to choose) to rule out conflicts with neighbors wifi. It seems like every time someone else in this neighborhood hooks up a wireless connection I get the same kind of thing you mention.

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I also have had good results with my Netgear over the years...although, I am about to start a thread that asks a question in which you might think I have lost my mind considering what I just said. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.