Lucid Puppy 5.1

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by AvinashR, Aug 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Puppy Linux is an evolutionary operating system for computers, based on GNU/Linux. Other well-known operating systems are Microsoft Windows, Apple OSX, and MS-DOS. It is completely free and open source software.
    Puppy Linux is a full-fledged operating system bundled with application suites covering a wide variety of tasks which can be used productively by general users. However, because Puppy is small-sized and can boot from many media, it is also useful as a rescue disk, a demonstration system, or for reviving old computers.

Puppy Linux was first released in June 2003 by Barry Kauler The community, is completely organic, without any formal agenda or structure. It often takes newcomers a while to realise that there aren't really any rules to Puppy, if you want to do something, make a new Puplet, offer your skills or take things in a new direction. Puppy is covered by the LGPL license, an open source license.

Puppy's goals:

• Easily install to USB, Zip or hard disk drive media
    • Load and run totally in RAM
    • Boot from LiveCD/DVD, and have the optical disc drive free for other purposes
    • Boot from LiveCD/DVD, and save everything back to the optical disc.
    • Boot from USB flash drives, and minimise writes to extend its life indefinitely
    • Extremely friendly for Linux newbies
    • Boot up and run extraordinarily fast
    • Have all the applications needed for daily use
    • Will just work, no hassles
    • Will breathe new life into old personal computers.

Updated Version:- 5.1

Download:- --http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/puppy-5.1/lupu-510.iso--

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This live cd is awesome! I''m running it now on a late '05 laptop, wireless setup seamlessly, audio works, Flash works straight away for browsing, speed overall is fantastic, and of course a nice set of tools for other tasks if needed. I will install it to usb as well. This will be my choice when surfing in public places . Great little distro :thumb:

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Uugghh :( after so much promise, what a letdown. Incredibly, on my newer HP laptop Puppy doesn't see the wireless interface, and no loaded modules provided help at all. Even booting off of the disk or usb, I had to select the acpi=no option to get it to boot, though I could have lived with that if wireless worked. Strange it works so well on an older laptop but not the newer one o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.