Lucid Live CD - How test nvidia prop. drivers work ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Ocky, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I wanted to check whether the nvidia proprietory driver is fine with my 9600GT card but how ?
    sudo service gdm restart does not load the module in Live CD. Is there a way or can it only be done on an installed system ?

Audio in Live CD is only Analog Stereo output - any change results in Dummy output - but I suppose that will be sorted once installed to HDD.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'll be installing and testing soon, so I'll let you know the moment it's done.
    You could install to an external disk and see what gives.
    Mrk

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

That would be fantastic. BTW apparently installing nvidia prop. drivers rather than going with the nouveau driver messes up Plymouth so that Plymouth will look terrible but at least you will have 3D.
    I came across this 'fix' which seems to work for most.

http://www.sucka.net/2010/03/nvidia-drivers-ubuntu-10-04-lucid-lynx/

4. Mrkvonic

I don't care about the boot sequence. I want my Nvidia cards to work.
    Mrk

5. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I agree, the 20 odd secs. are of no consequence. Just mentioned it in case it irritates some folks - for all I know it may be fixed in the meantime.

6. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Nvidia works flawlessy here, whats good is that now the repos installed fairly new 195x series drivers unlike in past where they would be quite old, I didn't have to install with the run file anymore.

7. Mrkvonic

Ocky, I tested. Repo drivers work superbly. 195.xx series, I think.

In fact, noveau or whatever would not let me boot on my laptop with 9600GS, so I had to start the live session in low graphics mode. After installation, I got the restricted drivers prompt, installed, rebooted, magic.

I tried a few games, like ETQW on full detail, as smooth as yak's butter.

A review is coming soon.

Cheers,
    Mrk

8. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Mrk, thanks for the feedback. So can I assume that after installing nvidia you had a nice Plymouth with nicely centered logo at an acceptable resolution and without having to insert nomodeset as a boot parameter ? If so I wonder what all the fuss is about.
    Will try it once I have backed up all my stuff from Hardy on my first HDD.

9. linuxforall

There is a workaround if you install nvidia via jockey, you can do a grub hack bringing back plymouth, some developers don't like that but its working out for some. For proprietary nvidia installed via run file, there is no plymouth, the point being that boot process in Ubuntu is so fast now, you hardly get to see Plymouth in action ;)

10. Mrkvonic

Ocky, yes, you get Ubuntu and the five dot progress thingie in the center of the screen, nothing special. The resolution is reasonable, but again, in 10 seconds or so it takes to boot, I could not care less. It's the gaming juice afterwards that matters.

Oh, I've just completed my review ... :) but I won't post it for another week or so.

Mrk

11. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Have just installed - easy peasy like you said. See sshot. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1669979&postcount=204

I noticed there is an updated Grub 2 (1.98 something). I installed to Mbr for it to pick up my Karmic install on the second HDD which it does and I can boot into Karmic without problems. However some text warning appears. it's too fast for me to see but says something like warning fsck must be ext4 ..etc..etc. Maybe a short check is run to see whether the Karmic boot files are on an ext4 partition ?? (They are - and Grub 2 was installed to sdb1 i.e. to a partition).

12. Mrkvonic

I haven't noticed any. Maybe it's just grub loading message?
    Mrk

13. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

The text appears very briefly just before login screen. Says something like 'fsck from util linux 2.6' .. blah..blah..blah.. There's more but I can't read it all in 1 second.
    i suppose I can ignore the message as otherwise all is fine ?

14. linuxforall

If its says fsck, thats chkdsk which is done after ever number of boots by cron, its normal part of Ubuntu maintenance.

15. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

No, it's not the normal cron induced fsck, it's a black screen with white text and it happens when I select the Karmic kernel from the Lucid Grub 2 boot menu. The message is brief (1sec.) and then Karmic's login screen appears. I enter password and boot into Karmic without problems. Googling this shows that many have experienced this phenomenon, the difference being they can't boot into their OS and/or fsck starts but gets stuck before completion. Seeing that I have no ill effects should I worry ?

BTW - If there is a kernel upgrade to Karmic will the Grub 2 (Lucid) osprober magically pick this up, and if not can one run the update-grub command from the grub menu cli ?
    (lucid grub is bootloader, karmic grub resides in / partition)

Thanks.

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Message also says fsck and that sdb is clean (something like that). So it appears that when booting another Grub 2 Ubuntu from Lucid's boot menu a quick fsck is carried out ?

17. linuxforall

Probably a safety measure.

18. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Yes, seems that is the case. Doesn't show in Lucid as fixed before final release.

19. linuxforall

Are you sure you have the Final and not RC, I don't get this or any message, yesterday I did get automatic disk check, this time it took way longer than it used to in Karmic.

20. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello Ocky my nvidia 8600gt drivers goes very well and smooth on ubuntu

however when after update it reboot and does fsck on desktop/laptop i didnt notice on desktop but on laptop its produces a lot of heat coming out of my lenovo n100 near cpu and climate here is 38 + so i didnt take any chances try to skip it my pressing C which is written but strange it keep scanning i guss its a bug............... it should stop

so i press escape key skip checking then login run perfectly :thumb:

edit:

also i agree with you linuxforall .......automatic disk check, this time it took way longer than it used to in Karmic

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  21. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

In Lucid all is fine. I mentioned the long disk check and see that you have confirmed.
    The very brief fsck message only occurs when I boot into Karmic from Lucid's Grub 2 menu - not when I boot Karmic from it's own boot menu. I think it's OK - a Grub 2 1.98 thing - probably initiates a quick fsck when it sees Karmic is on a separate drive.
    (See also quotes from my previous post.)

(Both are final releases)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.