LUA account and performance

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Joeythedude, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Hi

I'm using a LUA & SuRun.
    Now have 2 Admin a/cs on PC and 1 LUA a/c on PC
    Has anyone else noticed a slow-down after setting up a LUA ?

2. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

I sure haven't, ever. But then, I haven't used SuRun, either.

If using a LUA account seems to cause performance issues, there's a chance that you've got some buggy software running that doesn't understand LUA, and tries something stupid like endlessly trying to get write access to some file or registry key LUA doesn't have access to. Any process using strangely huge amounts of CPU or memory, for example? Any errors appearing in event logs?

3. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Will check it properly tonight.

Thanks.

Just curious , do you use another make me admin tool , or can you install most stuff in your LUA account.

4. Windchild

Whenever I need to install something for all users, I just log out of the limited user account and log in to the admin account, quickly install the software, and then log out and get back to the limited user account. It's quick enough for me, and that way I don't have to worry that whatever I installed didn't like being elevated from a limited user account and messed something up. On most days of any given week, I don't install anything, anyway, so I rarely have to do this. :D So, I never really bothered to actually start using all the "make my limited user an admin temporarily" type of tools. I tested some, and then realized they weren't very useful at all to me. Someone who installs software all the time, of course, will feel differently! In this forum, many folks seem to like the SuRun tool to make themselves admin when they need it. I haven't used that one, though.

In those cases where I want to install something just for the limited user account (like Chrome) then I obviously don't need to switch to admin at all. :)

5. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Windchild, how do you update your system?
    Firefox, Opera, Windows, (Open)Office, VLC/SMPlayer/?, Emule/Bittorrent, etc.
    This is where i see the most value in SuRun, not so much in installing programs.

6. Windchild

Last time Firefox came out with a new stable version was 15 days ago. Opera? 5 months ago. Windows patches typically come only once a month. With MS Office, the patches come out like Windows security updates, pretty much only once a month. VLC is pretty slow to update, as well, as the last new stable version came out about three weeks back and there's really no reason to even update unless I'm experiencing problems or the version I'm using has unpatched security issues that are fixed in a newer version. So, you could see here a pattern emerging on how I don't often have to update software. Maybe a couple of times a month at the most, if there happen to be many updates for software I use. :)

But when I do need to update, I log out of the limited user account, and log in as admin to do all the updates, and then I get back to my limited account and continue happily, and for the next couple of weeks I won't need to install anything in all probability. I could perhaps install the updates a couple of seconds faster with something like SuRun, but then again, it would take more than a couple of seconds to install and configure SuRun, and it would just be adding more software (SuRun) that I barely ever use to the system, so I prefer not to do that. As I said, someone who installs software all the time - like every day - will probably want to do things very differently. But I'm fine with just logging in as admin the old-fashioned way to do installs and updates. :) My systems are pretty stable as far as what software I run is considered. Once I got everything I need, I don't often add anything new, and the updates are pretty rare things, as shown above.

That, and I'm a slave to my habits. I do something in a certain way once, and I'll probably just continue doing it like that every time until I find a really good reason not to. :D

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Oh how i understand you!

I think i got your way of doing it, and i do realize SuRun is not perfect.

Judging by the amount of updates i get almost daily with Debian, i calculate that your system is not updated. Now i will use my hax0r skillZ and electrocute you with your computer. Go to my website at hyperwindefender.com/exploit.exe (save and then run it as admin please) so i can tell you how.

8. pbw3

pbw3 Registered Member

I am using similar processes with installing software and updates (this is in Vista rather than XP). Given that these things take more than 5 seconds to install / update, I see no delay logging into the admin account. This is despite the "Runas Admin" being available with a right click in Vista, with a UAC password prompt.

I also normally back up (the C drive) and defrag before any significant Windows update, which again is simple to do all at the same time under the Admin login. Being in Admin also gets around completely any SRP anomalies if I am having any trouble getting the right permissions trying to do something "elevated as Admin from the LUA login", which is not a problem for Windows updates etc, but which sometimes might be for other software..

Windows Defender signature updates (and that kind of thing) etc, I will simply run from the LUA as and when.. Routine data backup of K drive is all from the LUA account.

With SRP & LUA, the only day to day inconveniences I find are when I occasionally get trigger happy and see an .exe I think might be interesting to try and run..!! And that's partly the point..:)

Pedro, that website didn't seem to exist (or wasn't available, if trying with Opera)..??

9. Windchild

Basically, I like doing things the way I did them before, unless there's a hugely brilliant reason to change my ways. I guess one could say that I've gotten lazy! :D I no longer feel the need to test various software that I won't use anyway (such as security related software) and I'm generally pleased with what I'm already running, so I seldom install anything new and basically only install updates to software I already use. Leaves me more time to do the more productive things that I own computers for. ;)

Well, Debian is Debian. Any OS that comes on five DVDs is special. ;)

Does that work if I wear rubber gloves? :D

10. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I made sure it didn't exist. With a name like that, it couldn't be a good one! And before someone creates one, please don't try to go there.

It was meant as a joke. (Hypothetical) typical windefender variant (malware), and an exe download so it's that easy to infect yourself :D

11. pbw3

pbw3 Registered Member

:argh:... :D

Sorry... the brain was in chill mode..!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.