LTS releases vs normal releases

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by moontan, Jan 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

am i really missing out by sticking to the LTS of Mint 13?

i am really not looking forward to installing a new OS from scratch every 6 months.
    i tried installing Mint 14 and importing my Home backup folder and software selections but it did not work as expected.

Do you folks stick to the LTS or do you install a new OS every 6 months?
    if so, any tips to make it as painless as possible?

2. I'm on Ubuntu LTS, 12.04 and it's here to stay.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

If you think you actually can and want to stick with 13 LTS for 3 years, and don't want much change, then 13 is probably fine. Otherwise, 14 is supported for a year and a half (I think), and you will have the latest of whatever they're doing I guess. I went for 14, because I doubt I'd be able to stick with anything for 3 years straight anyway.... :)

4. moontan

lol. that always crack me up! :D

maybe i should follow that 'advice' and stick with the LTS.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Haha... I just installed 14 again, this time I'm using Chrome instead of FF, and my previous streaming video issues are gone. I have no idea why, but I'm ok now.

I think we're good with either 13 or 14... :)

6. shuverisan

shuverisan Registered Member

The shorter releases are supported for 1.5 years so no need to switch every 6 months.
    http://www.linuxmint.com/oldreleases.php

I use both long term releases and a few installs of the in-betweens but I always set others up with the LTS & backports. I'd say: anticipate your subconscious desire for tinkering and borking, make system images and choose whichever works as seamlessly as possible.

7. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I completely second that motion. I get to keep it until 2017 rather than having to install a new version every 6 months and experience a few problems for the first month or so.

8. moontan

yes.

but what's stopping me to install Mint 15 after that? then 16. and on and on... :p

i think i better stop when the going is good. lol

the only slight problem i have is that i have to unplug and plug the Logitech mouse USB transmitter after booting once in awhile.

no big deal. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.