LSOs good vs bad

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by emmjay, Apr 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I did a search on WSF for user recommended FF add-ons and from the list I chose a few that I thought would be beneficial and I am very very pleased with the ones I chose. One of them was BetterPrivacy which came highly recommended. I read the blurb that came with the product and it stated that some LSOs are required for certain things to happen properly. Other LSOs can be deleted.

When I close FF, a BetterPrivacy popup indicates the number of LSOs that are there and asks me to delete or not ... I have gone back to look at them, but I have no idea if they are they 'must haves' or the 'spying ones'. Some are google (I left them because I recognised the name ... only reason!). There were quite a few from player.ooyala.com (7 LSOs). They are all in c:/appdata/roaming/macromedia ... 5 of them appeared when I opened FF outside BufferZone (not sure that this had anything to do with the number going from 2 to 7). The player.ooyala website gives me the impression that they have something to do with advertising via video :doubt:

Should I delete these player.ooyala LSOs? Are they spy LSOs? o_O

2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi.

I use BetterPrivacy :thumb: & have it set to delete Everything :)

bp.gif

You could try deleting those you've saved & see if it makes any difference. If not set like mine :thumb:

3. scott1256ca

scott1256ca Registered Member

I was expecting someone in the know to comment on this. For me, better privacy deletes LSO's when I close the session. So anything an LSO would need to do during the session should work fine. Only if the LSO needed to survive sessions would it not perform as expected. Since the only thing I use cookies for across sessions is staying logged in to forums, and LSO's aren't needed for that, I can live without them surviving across multiple sessions. The only other LSO I know of that is used across sessions is settings.sol (at least I have heard this referred to as an LSO). I set the permissions on settings.sol in XP to read-only once I had the settings the way I wanted.

On linux, I changed permissions on the directories so LSO's can't even get written. I haven't run in to any sites where this caused a problem. If I do, I'll likely just ignore the site or live with the problem.

Anyone know of an LSO which is required to survive sessions and does something beneficial for the user, rather than the advertiser/site owner?

4. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Tnx CloneRanger for your screen capture. Hmmm you zap everything. I noticed that you are parsing all your LSOs in your config ... do you see a significant increase in CPU usage?

I see 'settings.sol, wakeup.sol, auth.sol,.perf.sol' and this very strange one 'rdamigrationcomplete.sol'. The last one gives me pause .. the naming convention gives the impression that it has placed something in flash that I should be concerned about.

Hope someone who understands this stuff will answer scott1256ca's last question.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

6. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Vasa1, Tnx for that link ... good read. Scary stuff indeed.

I read all 4 blogs and learned a lot about Adobe Flash (guess Silverlight is just as menacing, but it did not get much focus ... maybe now that IE9 is out, there will be a blog #5) and I found blog #3 a good review of how add-ons help.

So my original question has now been answered .. I have decided to delete all LSOs at the end of each FF browsing session as I do not have to know which ones are good and which ones are bad. The settings.sol for flash has also been selected for deletion in BetterPrivacy, however from the blog I understand that the default in Flash will over-ride this setting (not keen on adding config changes as suggested in blog 2 ... this is no-go territory for a rookie like me).

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Never noticed any performance issues, i'm happy to say :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.