lsass.exe /I use XPsp2home<ALL CLEAN?>

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by AUXHILLARYmikE, Nov 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AUXHILLARYmikE

AUXHILLARYmikE Registered Member

I live in Crosskeys near Cardiff in Wales. United
    HI
    Today i ran my taskmanager and noticed a process called lsass.exe using between 1.2KB to 1.7KB of memory(1.2 when pc is idle rising to 1.7 when connected).
    A google told me this is a Worm! The thing is though, my pc(XPhome/SP2) is fully updated, patched, tweeked and running well! I use panda at present and my system is clean. I`ve ran scans by Trojan Hunter-Ad-aware6pro-spybotSD-Spysubtract-CWSshredder as an Administrator in normal and safe, all find zip. There`s no freezing or un-explained occurrences. So why is this program there? I`ve tried ending it but TM tells me it`s a crucial process.
    Only thing i can think of is that around 12mths ago, before really realising what viruses/spyware was, my pc got infected by a virus of some kind. Looking back i remember the computer turning itself off, freezing and doing weird things etc. After which i ended up re-installing windows twice!!
    Is there any way that this program is a remnant of that episode or is it getting ready to fry my pc. What should i do??
    Thanks
    mike (UK)

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. AUXHILLARYmikE

AUXHILLARYmikE Registered Member

I live in Crosskeys near Cardiff in Wales. United
    THANKS SNOWBOUND!! I feel a bit stupid now. Allthough, The link you provided is the same site that told me the process was a virus, after my first google search on the subject.
    Thanks again.
    mike(UK)

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Your Welcome.:)

If i'm not mistaken, the sasser worm did exploit a problem in lsass.exe some time ago.

snowbound

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Indeed it did, generally this is the first thing pointed to with a lsass.exe error message, though as you have found, it is not always the case...

Cheers :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.