Low Resource Use

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mikel, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Isnt that more of a registry/memory scanner rather than AV?
    ellison

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

etrust is very light and it has a good detection rate

3. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

A real hard stress for an anti-virus is running a source tree with several thousand small files on your computer and doing a compile with of a large software with a modern ide with plenty of linked libraries.

This will almost completely kill the system, if it's runnig basic configuration of KAV or F-Secure (not sure of 2006 editions).

NOD-32 is still usable under these conditions.

BTW, do NOT interpret this as "NOD32 is the best, dude!" type of post. It's a statement of experience related to system performance under extreme conditions, not a universal measure of superiority.

Many other factors than speed/memory imprint are more important to ordinary users.

4. bathisland

bathisland Registered Member

No seriously....He is not kidding. KAV 5.0388 is indeed very very light and works just great. I feel it is much lighter then the overrated lightness of Nod32.

5. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Overrated? No, not at all. I was just evaluating a bunch of AV's for my new laptop and while I can't compare NOD32 to the regular KAV 5, I can compare to KAV Pro 5, which I have a license to. I'm seeing 24meg total for NOD32 processes and saw 35meg for KAV Pro 5. Now, on the otherhand KAV2006 shows good promise, as it's footprint is close to NOD32, if not better. However, with my wife using the laptop on occassion, I can't have any crashes or issues, thus with KAV2006 still in beta, I'm holding off with running it on the laptop. I ended up buying NOD32, after my tests.

6. Sthlm

Sthlm Guest

I have used F-Prot Antivirus for a while and just yesterday switched over to try NOD32, as i've been reading a lot of positive comments and the latest Antivirus test with the pre-WMF vulnerability-patched F-Prot 3.16d results (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=114343).

i have to say that on my notebook, NOD32 is not living up to my expectation of its lightness. nod32krn.exe is using 8 236 kB and nod32kui.exe is using 2 628 now, where as F-prot uses in average less than 1mb + 2-3 for the service.

GUI-wise i would recommend the simple and clean F-Prot also.
    i'm gonna switch to the new updated F-Prot 3.16f, though i am interested how it holds up against its competitors now as the last AV-testresults are misleading.
    Any other points of view?

7. AshG

AshG Registered Member

Sthlm, I can guarantee that you'll be glad you have NOD32 on your side at the next major outbreak. The 6mb of extra memory usage is small beans compared to the amount of ability, frequency of updates, and configurability that NOD32 brings over its competitors.

8. auriell

auriell Registered Member

Sthlm ---> Comparison between two AV resource usage can be totally misleading, especially when you have not enough RAM and use swap file. On my both computers (one 1GB and second 2GB of RAM and no swap file) NOD is using currently ~16MB for nod32krn.exe and ~1,5MB for nod32kui.exe.

I saw people having totaly different results, all depend on system configuration and amount of RAM:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=114182

The lightness of AV is not only RAM usage, but total system responsiveness.

9. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

I looked at F-Prot AV(my cable company even has a free suite from them, but the suite is a hog). I will agree it is definitely lighter, but it is purely an AV and that's it, while NOD32 is an AV plus some good extra monitors, IMON(Mail monitor), EMON(Outlook plugin) and a MS Word Monitor. So I felt the extra features of NOD32 outweighed the difference in footprint.

10. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Totally agree. F-Prot may well be the lightest AV in terms of memory usage but on MY systems it is much heavier than Dr Web, NOD, KAV 2006 beta and VBA32.

11. Sthlm

Sthlm Guest

Seems like this thread is in that case is a complete waste, as it all relative to the variableness of the system. Your system handles NOD32 as mine does Norton, give or take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.