Low popup, highly effective firewalls for Win7 64-bit?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by altruist, May 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. altruist

altruist Registered Member

What options do I have for a low pop-up firewall that would pass most security firewall security tests?

I'm looking for something that is:
    - Gives details when I want them
    - Less obtrusive (reduced pop-ups)
    - Windows 7 64-bit compatible
    - Firewall only, or other features can be easily disabled
    - Shows what active connections I have open

Firewalls I've tried that I have issues with:
    Online Armor (seems to stop accepting new connections when it reaches a large number)
    Kaspersky (seems to slow down overall connections)
    Comodo (it's either overly obtrusive, or I can trust everything, which lets things I don't want through)

Candidates I'm considering:
    Look'N'Stop

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Windows Firewall is adequate as well. You can use Windows Firewall Control for pop-ups.

Forticlient can be custom installed with selectable components.

3. Yanick

Yanick Registered Member

Hm, well i cant say that im expert or enything, but still il give you anathor option which you havent tested yet it seems. Outpost FW, theres free suite availeble. Im pretty sure you can just install the firewall part, havent tried. You can easily see evry active connection in the main gui. Agnitum is selling lifetime licenses for it as well. On install phase, you can select if you want outpost to handle most connections so it displays minimum pop-ups. It has HIPS, which can be disabled if you dont like it. Been using it for years and havent got eny trouble. Dunno if this helps at all, but just thought to contribute :)

There are 2 types of Windows Firewall Control's.
    -http://www.sphinx-soft.com/Vista/-
    -http://www.binisoft.org/-

Give em a go.
    This is also okay site for free firewalls for info: -http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-firewall.htm-

4. blasev

blasev Registered Member

look 'n' stop is lighting fast, and also very strong. (stem use it! ;))
    I'll vote for LnS :D

5. guest

guest Guest

Private firewall, Zone alarm, FortKnox Firewall

So what do you want? with almost any fw you will get a popups for every single process that wants access to intenet, if you want less popups Comodo is the only one with a whitelist, although you can choose to be alerted for every process trying to access internet.
    If for one process you get 2 different popups is because the FW is asking permision for 2 different things, if you want it simple you will allow things without knowing.
    Did you disabled D+?
    Did you know that the trusted files have automatically access to internet?

Probably you are looking for Outpost Fw, it's easy to use.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
  6. altruist

I want something like mamutu I guess, it's effective yet because it's a suspicious behavior blocker, it doesn't have many popups.

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Just to be clear, do you want something that monitors program activity or internet connection of programs and IPs?

If it's the former, you're not looking for a firewall only.

8. EboO

EboO Registered Member

I think look'n stop is the best solution : it do everything (applications and packets filtering), very strong and not a lot of pop-ups. And it's easy to configure.

9. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

I think Private Firewall and Look'n stop can compete each other but I choose Private Firewall.

10. guest

guest Guest

By default any firewall is going to give you the same popups more or less, if you want less popups you need to look for a firewall with a whitelist, as far as I know only Comodo has it, and maybe outpost but I'm not sure.

Mamutu is Behaviour Blocker so you can not compare the popups with a firewall.

If you install Comodo firewall you will also get D+, if you dont want the HIPS alerts you can disable the D+ permanently.

11. altruist

The latter, I'm using mamutu and I want to bundle it with something. Online Armor would be great but it has issues handling a huge number of connections on Windows 7 64-bit.

12. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Try Private Firewall, Online Armor seems to be offered now in tandem with Mammutu, I am a little confused by its connections issue. Worked fine for me that way. I had other problems with it.

13. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

You have none, I'm afraid. This is like to wish a solid and a liquid at the same time. Some firewalls allow you to configure them to be low pop-up, but let us not kid ourselves, in this mode they fail security tests.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.