Low Level Format and Zero Fill drive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sasa843, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Are these two options the same?
    I have Maxtor hard drive 80gb.
    The first oneoption is from powermax diskette, and the second one is from maxblast4 diskette.
    Thank's in advance.

2. Ice_Czar

Ice_Czar Registered Member

zero fill is often incorrectly called a low level format so "in context" yes

a true low level format is something that once upon a time you were be able to do, but for at least a decade its been impossible as the areal density (the number of bits per square cm) on the platters are far too dense and it must be done as part of the manufacturing process. At issue is the exact placement of the distributed servo bursts in a known thermal state, since these are the positional markers for the calibration system. There are no utilities that will do a "real" low level format, any that refer to that are simply zero fill aps which do not attempt to rebuild the sector, track, cylinder and servo burst parameters.

Fake LLF
    Real LLF

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

My common sense would be to use the maxblast4, as it uses newer terminology I assume that this version is more up-to-date. Although I think powermax should work fine also. Neither of them are real LLF, in fact I think it's the same thing only differently named in new version of HDD manager. Your 80G Maxtor wil come to no harm in any case. So, write that zeros. :thumb:

4. sasa843

sasa843 Registered Member

Ok, thank's for help. I did Zero Fill Drive and everything passed fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.