loving my new Vista

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dark Shadow, Feb 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I told my self I will never go with windows again after over ten yrs of use.Just a few days ago I went to purchase a new macbook with a 2.2 intel core 2 duo 120g hard 1g ram and a super drive for a healthy price tag of 1299.00. After spending about hour playing with the mac and asking a bunch of questions I was sold. just as the sales guy went to get one for me and I glanced over to see a HP lap special edition in white and silver tone with a 1.66 intel core 2 duo 250 g hard drive 3 gigs of ram DVD burner with light scribe and built in cam 14.1 HD screen, blue tooth, media card reader, Vista Home premium and some usefull generous software.price tag of 1099.00 Sale for 949.00 with a 50.00 mail in rebate.Needless to say still using windows but loving it so far and for nearly 400.00 less I am very happy with vista.:D

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

:D :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    I also like Vista

3. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

just think of the extra performance if you was running XP. 2x faster.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Just think of the extra performance, if you were running Win95 or Win3.1. 4x-8x faster. ;)

5. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

i have xp on all rigs,they do what i need,whats the deal to get Vista ?

Sure xp will fade into limbo but i have many years ahead to think about the switch.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Well, i plan on completely skipping past Vista in wait for the next O/S star system, but you never know when you might just run across a deal to good to pass up. I look at it this way, i could always wipe it out and reinstall XP, but likely would just settle for dual systeming with XP "IF" i take a whack at vista.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If I am in ur place, I would have choosen MacBook.

I have a windos notebook already with XP. I hope to use it for years by Gods, wish. I will prefer to buy OSX now whenever I buy another desktop/ notebook.

8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Depends, If your using expensive graphical software like me,only buying new OSX compatible software cost me much more then just the hardware change.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

You are right. i use my PC maily for surfing and word/ power point etc. So no problems for me.

But in ur case I would have considered dual boot with Vista( BootCamp) or VM. Again cost is there. But i love the look n feel of Mac n OSX. Also no problems of security software.

10. markymoo

@TheTOM_SK

I just mentioned one benefit. I could fill a book with the rest.

I like to know why you think Vista is so great? Maybe its the constant alerts in your face left upto the user to decide what to do until you get totally sick of them you start to ignore them like the new user has shown to do and security takes a backseat. Maybe you was sold on the security. Well why is it people put there own firewall on?

djohn was in the shop and was sold on Vista. He hasn't told us why he never will go with windows again and was in the shop fixed on a Mac. He hasnt told us in detail why he was sold and happy on Vista. He described the hardware and the nice price tag and asked some questions and was sold. This tell us so little. Was it the eye candy and closer to a Mac but less price lol ? What convinced you in that short time that you couldn't do on XP?

Alot of features in Vista can be done by XP and better 3rd party applications already. The networking in Vista is better but it's totally new code and thats not good as it can take like 5 years to mature.

Why have so many professionals bashed Vista? Because there's nothing really worth upgrading for that can't be done on XP already plus a heavy downgrade of performance. Why did SP1 come out so fast? because it was faulty and they knew it. Lots of incompatibilities. One bloated big. Why suffer all that?

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  11. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I dont agree that there is "constant" popups in Vista UAC, I would say there are far more less popups than in a "younameit" HIPS for example. But I guess "constant" is a personal point of view that vary depending on who you ask.
    And if you use it with SuRun, there is even less popups. I have not tried it yet though coz I dont mind the few popups I get in Vista anyway .

Maybe I have some real futuristic computer but Vista is at least as fast as XP here, with all the bling bling on and after I installed all my software that I use. No downgrade in of performance at all. It was so in my old rig (AMD64x2 3800) too. If SP1 promises even faster, so much better.

But I agree that with the price today, it is not worth the money since XP is not outdated yet. But I just read today that MS is gonna drop the price with 40% world wide.
    That shows that MS up to now lived in the past. They are on the right track, but personally I dont think it is worth more than 100 maybe, maybe 150 dollars. And thats for the Ultimate.

Game compability...well, not very impressed. Some wont run at all. even with xp compability.

12. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Unlikely - Win95 doesn't support multiple cores, has problems dealing with more than 512MB RAM and almost certainly wouldn't recognise much of the hardware on a current laptop. With Win3.1, you'd also lose DMA/UltraDMA on the disk interface, slowing file access by a factor of 4 or more.

13. TairikuOkami

As mentioned, there are almost no UAC alerts and if they are, user can expect them and knows how to answer, before they even appear. MS is trying to persuade software developers to create aplications without admin access, because most of them do not really need it and by the way, UAC can be turn off. :D
    None, if you are satisfied, you do not need to move to Vista. XP is rock solid OS proved by years, it will run just fine. Vistax64 is a good choice for a new PC.
    That is a good question, I do not understand it either, since most people can not use advanced firewall at all. Maybe because they disable UAC?! I used Vista a year without a firewall and other anti-junk and UAC paid off, though it is true, that this can be achieved with XP as well, but UAC is more user friendly.
    I understand Linux fanatics, they just love to spam it everywhere, but I do not understand, why are people so upset by Vista, when no one tells them to use it, since XP will be supported till 2014 and Vista till 2012, what it is the problem? That they do not have hardware for it or that they do not like Microsoft?

But I agree, that Vista was released too soon, but that is just because MS needed money, pity, but that is the life. Well SP1 will be released on 11-th March. ;)

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Personally I like Vista. After you tweak it to your taste it is damn good. I like the sidebar with gadgets. I have one gadget that basically is like MailWasher. It notifies me of emails, lets me delete them off the server before downloading. I have no issues with Vista.

15. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I too like Vista.
    After using a rather low-end desktop with XP, my comparatively high-end laptop with Vista obviously runs faster. So because of my previous computer, I can't complain.
    And I must admit, I prefer the look, even without Aero (How's
    that for a technical reason to prefer something!:) ).
    I've had no issues at all - yet.

16. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I am with you here. I had to tweak win 95, win 98 win xp to my liking and I now have my Vista tweaked to where I am actually loving it! I would not have updated to Vista, but It came with my new computer.

17. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Welcome to the club of newbies about Vista! Great OS! :thumb:

18. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Glad that you are liking Vista. I have not had any problems or complaints of yet (knock on wood). I am running the 32 bit Business edition without any issues. This is my main PC at home that is used from web surfing, MS Office, to gaming.

I plan to grab myself a copy of X64 Ultimate edition later this year. Main reason being is because I want to try out Bit Locker, as well as the ability to utilize 4 gigs of RAM.

19. Ragzarok

Ragzarok Registered Member

20. Dark Shadow

Well like I said I was going to buy the macbook but the value and hardware In the Hp was to good to pass up and besides theres nothing that special about the macbook more then any other computer.The main reasons I choose a window pc again
    1.value for the money
    2.media card reader
    3.light scribe
    4.hard drive space
    5.3 gigs of ram
    6.software
    7.less Money:D

21. Dark Shadow

Hi HiTech_Boy thanks for the newbie vista welcome and I agree its great OS so far

22. markymoo

maybe its the better user friendliness. if you what you run on Vista is fast enough then that's fine. i just don't want to run the same software and take a performance hit just for added security features like UAC that i have turned off anyway :D. if you want the security features then use the x64 as the startup programs are jostled around in memory harder to attack and illegal instruction calls cannot be used by software or nasty intent to change the kernel and as Trooper was saying can use full 4.gb not like just utilizing 3.2gb of it plus digitally signed drivers.

lol yes turning it into XP.

yep thats the way it goes with one huge corporate but i'm glad i not forced into using it. the cost of Vista was ridiculous but have to pay all those wages.

i think they should just concentrated on good features and maximize performance thats what everybody wants. the best time to use it will be a few years from now when its settled down more and the hardware is even faster. like what you have now with XP. the hardware has caught up and overtaken the speed of XP so to speak. the security questions shouldn't be left upto to the user so much but decided by the o/s.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2008
  23. markymoo

Originally Posted by TheTOM_SK
    Just think of the extra performance, if you were running Win95 or Win3.1. 4x-8x faster.

very funny

24. TairikuOkami

Yeah, Vistax64 is the best, that is why I bought it along with 8 GB RAM, si it would run just fine, I am just waiting for the rest of the PC to be delivered. :'(
    No argue with that, but MS is known NOT to listen to customers, from whatever reason?! :doubt:
    Well, that is a tough one, it is true, that users should not have control over PC, since they barely understand it, but they are those, who infects PC in the first place. Windows Firewall is already an ingenius idea, so in comparison to it UAC might look like a step backward, but who knows. MS set SP1 to limit UAC a bit, but I guess, that most people will disable it anyway. It is only up to developers to do something about it, MS just showed them the door, they have to go through it.

25. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Loving my Vista here as well :) Sometimes I think that the malware writers were the ones who started all the rumors about Vista at the beginning so their job wouldn't get harder. Now since Vista is gaining momentum they are encouraging the use of turning off UAC, their biggest enemy.

Those who proclaim that you need a high end machine to run Vista should look at this.

After working on XP machines all day at work, I can't wait to get home to my Vista! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.