lots of ports open when running VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mike70sk, Jun 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike70sk

mike70sk Registered Member

When i do a test with out the Vpn i get all stealth ports on grc. But when i run the vpn, grc is able to tell me network name and the name of my pc (and says the computer could be at risk of sharing data)

The following ports are open 80 135 139(net bios) and 411 413 522

is this vpn doing more harm then good? esp since grc knows my computer name and net bios and lots of other ports are open ? am i hackable with all those ports

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Might be good if you could say wich VPN you're using so other VPN users can say if it's a good reliable VPN service, or maybe recommend a better one.

I'm not a VPN "expert" so I can't answer you :)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  3. mike70sk

Its bolehvpn which i a having been using for a year, its a good vpn overall, its got lots of servers, its fast, but i haven't did a port scan for a long time and was surprised with these results.

I open to hear about other vpn's i had a trial once with air-vpn but it was to slow to stream netflix in HD and some of the servers would randomly disconnect . also had few hour trial of mulvand its fast too, but only one server so you cant use it for American blocked contact like netflix.

bolehvpn has everything i want, but if its gonna leave me insecure i cant stay with it.

People that know about vpn, is this serious concern the port scan, also any other vpns to consider.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

When you run port scans while using a VPN, the website is scanning the VPN exit server, not your computer. Servers typically have several open ports. That's how they can get requests to serve stuff ;)

5. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I wouldn't use a VPN without a software firewall due to the fact that the VPN is putting you directly on the internet cloud. Riseup VPN clearly warns about that here.

6. mike70sk

mirimir that many open ports ? what about the fact that grc has the name of my computero_Oo_Oo_O?? it dosent when not using vpn

It used to be only port 22 open when running scan, which i was told was normal.

0strodamus, i am running comodo but sometimes i have no idea how to answer when there asking about opening certain ports, generally comodo says its safe when i click yes

7. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

You should find out what has port 22 open (and the others too). You could use CurrPorts or TCPView to do that.
    Unless, you're doing SSH transfers I don't think that it is normal to have port 22 open all the time.
    Wikipedia has a list of ports that might be helpful when answering those COMODO prompts.

8. mirimir

GRC Shields Up! may report a machine name, if the relevant ISP has enabled reverse DNS. But it shouldn't be your machine name if you're using a VPN. It should be the VPN exit server's machine name.

Using the VPN, browse one of the IP geolocation services that provides ISP information. The ISP should match the end of the machine name that GRC reports.

It's the VPN's machine, not yours.

9. mike70sk

it shows my actual pc name, the one that shows up at the windows 7 lock screen, usually grc says my dns has no reverse, was planing on putting it to open dns again.

How could grc know my computer names when on the vpn o_Oo_O?

When no vpn it just says my isp's name.

10. mirimir

That's very odd.

Have you opened (aka forwarded) ports in the VPN for file sharing etc?

If you haven't, something is not working right. Contact your VPN support.

11. mike70sk

no portfowarding can you recommend other vpns ?

12. mirimir

Well, BolehVPN is a good one, so I recommend figuring out what's wrong before just switching.

That said, AirVPN, iVPN and Mullvad have all been mentioned favorably on Wilders.

13. mike70sk

yeah i guess i will post to boleh and see what they say, i only got 10 days left on my account, so now might be the time to look around, i found airvpn not so good, but i so sposse i could try them again if they give me the 3 day trial. I hear ivpn customer service is very slow.

besides those favorites on the board, i see torentfreaks lists about 50 of them, are they any other vpn's people here think are good too

-------edit----------

I forgot to add that i flashed my router with dd-wrt and this is the first time i scanned with, a scan with no vpn is stealth, but with vpn as described,

--------edit---------

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  14. mike70sk

i think i have may have caused the problem and appears to be fixed now, i updated to the new gui no difference, but i thought what if i temporary uninstall and comodo firewall and all its saved settings.

Know its not saying my computers name and all the open ports. I'm thinking maybe i agreed to one of comodo's request to grc and then when i went to grc it showed all this because by mistake i must have given it permission.

Does this sound like the most likely probable of things ?

15. mirimir

I'm not sure that I understand your last post :(

However, whatever you do in Comodo, GRC shouldn't be seeing your computer's name while you're connecting through a VPN service.

16. mike70sk

basically my last post, when i was on grc with the vpn running, it asked me to give permission to some ports i agreed, once i uninstalled commodo on both computers, i no longer got the computer name on grc,

17. mirimir

This may be an "OMG Windows" moment.

But even if Windows has ports open for whatever, and even if Comodo is doing something strange with ports, I don't believe that ports can get forwarded to the VPN exit server unless the VPN service allows it.

But wait. Maybe its an "OMG BolehVPN" moment. Does BolehVPN allow port forwarding by default?

I don't use Windows much, I don't open ports, and I haven't used BolehVPN for a while. Sorry if I'm being clueless here :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.