Lost Space

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by whitedragon551, Oct 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I am having issues getting into safe mode so I used Paragon Drive Backup 10 Pro to restore an image from 2 weeks ago. Well that image didnt fix the issue so I reverted back to my current image. Now Im missing 3Gbs of HD space.

Before the revert back to 2 weeks ago I had 193Gbs free. After going from the 2 week image back to the current image Im at 190Gbs free. Ive went through the both temp folders, appdata, programdata, program files, program files (x86), and have gone through and deleted all the left over program files that are no longer installed and Im still 3Gbs short.

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

It sounds really strage.

Please check if there is hiberfil.sys & pagefile.sys files in C:/. Check their summary size. It looks like they caused the difference in free space on system partition.

Those files are usually excluded from backup, but if you disable 'Skip OS auxiliary files' option, they will be placed in backup and restored.

3. whitedragon551

How do I check their size and remove them properly without causing system instability?

EDIT- Checked C drive with showing hidden files and folders enabled. No hiberfil.sys and no pagefile.sys. I did notice my pagefile was set to 6Gbs. I went back through Paragon's archives of backups and did find that the back I restored contained a pagefile.sys of 6Gbs. The old archive that I tried to revert back to also had a pagefile of 6Gbs. That means I still have a loss of 3Gbs somewhere and we have now ruled out the pagefile and hiberfile.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  4. Mech_An

Please check backups info:
    * run DB 10 Pro
    * go to archives tab
    * switch to 'Show only partitions' view
    * select 2 weeks old backup of C:/ in the list
    * In the archive info pane above the list check what Total size & Free space are shown.
    Repeat this operation for fresh backup.

If last restored backup has the same free space value as it is now, restore process worked correctly.

5. whitedragon551

New one is 2Gbs more compared to the old one and I cant figure out why. When I had the system running before I did the backup it was at 293Gbs free. Now after restoring back its at 290Gbs free. Its at 292Gbs if I change the page file size from what it originally was, if I dont change it and leave it as it was configured Id be short 7Gbs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  6. whitedragon551

Any way to compare archives side by side?

7. Mech_An

Unfortunately, not. There is no such option as compare backups .

8. whitedragon551

So I suppose I need to sift through archives. Is there a way to export the contents of the archives? Maybe I can export contents each to its own folder and then compare folders with another program.

9. Mech_An

10. whitedragon551

How do you mount drives for comparison? Can I mount multiple drives?

11. Mech_An

If you have 32-bit Windows, you can mount both archives uder different drive letters.

Then mounted archives could be used for comparison.

Note: special software for comparison could fail to work with mounted archives.

12. whitedragon551

So what about on x64? I extracted the files from both backups to their corresponding folder and then used FreeFileSync to compare folders. The issue I had with that is that the Windows folder failed to extract so I cant compare that.

13. Mech_An

I suppose, Windows folder is too large. Try to exctract its content by portions.

(Mount Archive option is not available for 64-bit Windows versions. )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.