Lost faith in NOD32! Uninstalling

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by berryracer, Jun 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I always used to think i'm safe when my friend told me to do this test...he sent me a RAR file which contained an 8 months old Virus.

Upon receiving that RAR file, I scanned it with NOD32, says it's clean.

So I right click on the virus after extraction and scanning again, says it's clean.

I did not ru the EXE as my fiend told me it would destroy my system I just scanned it with NOD32.

So I sent the file to www.virustotal.com

and here is the result!!!!

~VirusTotal and\or Jotti link removed per Policy....Bubba~

Uninstalling NOD32 right now and installing Kaspersky FTW

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

It seems you're refering to an Ardamax installer. NOD32 actually detects its files after extraction so the question is whether you have actully tested it and ran it in a safe environment. Otherwise your posts sounds like bashing to me. Nevertheless, you should take into account that no AV is perfect and none detects 100% of all threats. There are thousands of cases when NOD32 is the only or one of very few AVs to detect a particular threat. In case, I don't think that NOD32 failed to detect actual threats, you'd better test it or send the file to samples[at]eset.com so that we could have a look at it.

3. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Not trying to be an ass but at the point when you "lost faith" or went from feeling "safe" to not feeling "safe" has NOD's 'protection' level changed? Only 1 file was scanned, how can that be indicative of how NOD detects malware overall?

4. Marcos

I even assume that the file is an installer and the keylogger itself would be detected and neutralized upon extraction. AFAIK, Ardamax has encrypted files included in the installer, hence they are not scanned internally.

5. swami

swami Registered Member

You want to loose faith in Kaspersky? Just send your email.

6. berryracer

Not willing to take that chance mate. Kaspersky / ZASS FTW

I just waster 30 dollars last month I guess! Will never recommend NOD32 to anyone now after I was a die hard fan! used to swear by it

~VirusTotal and\or Jotti link removed per Policy....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2008
  7. Marcos

Even if an antivirus misses one or several threats (which is not the case of your file and NOD32 BTW, unless you prove the opposite which has not happened yet), it's not a reason to ditch the AV. It may miss a threat, but you can shortly get infected by another threat that your new AV would miss, but which would be detected by the previous AV. I'd say that when changing AVs frequently one can get infected easier than when staying with one AV.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  8. berryracer

9. berryracer

Im gonna run this virus on a test machine which has nod32 latest version on it and see the results...

and just an FYI guys....this virus is 8 months old!

8 MONTHS OLD!! what kinda weak AV is NOD32 that it can't catch an 8 months old virus?! this is really shamful

10. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Don't get this point at all. If I were to change AV several times a day........I don't see why I would get infected easier, as long as I change trustworthy AV's.

11. berryracer

Dude don't u see it ? The ESET staff don't know how to defend their trust worthy NOD32 anymore! they are resorting to deleting links that show how bad their AV is man! so what do u expect?

Pure unprofessionalism

12. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

The links were deleted as per the FORUM POLICY. And not by an Eset employee if you took the time to bother reading the edit message at the bottom of you post.

I love the way that you are posting over at notebook review about your link being removed - when you never even took the time to read the forum policy before you post.

Move along guys - he has already made up his mind. Nothing to see here but a troll.

For the record - I don't use NOD32.

13. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Chances are about 99-out-of-100 that you didn't have NOD set correctly to have it "catch" the keylogger installer:

6/12/2008 12:28:02 AM Real-time file system protection file C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Yevchak\Desktop\setup_akl.exe a variant of Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax application NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Event occurred on a file modified by the application: C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.exe.

6/12/2008 1:13:15 AM Real-time file system protection file C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Yevchak\Desktop\setup_akl.exe a variant of Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax application NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM Event occurred on a file modified by the application: C:\Program Files\CyberScrub Privacy Suite\CSPSeraser.exe.

C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Yevchak\Desktop\setup_akl.exe » NSIS » PDM.exe - a variant of Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax application

C:\Documents and Settings\Steven Yevchak\Desktop\setup_akl.exe » NSIS » AKV.exe - a variant of Win32/KeyLogger.Ardamax application

When I first began testing for detection of ArdaMax ( http://www.misec.net/forum/board/THGuard/1213034745 ), I did not have NOD32 set up to alert on "Potentially unwanted" or "Potentially unsafe" applications - and NOD never picked up on it.

When I did finally set NOD to alarm on the above, it picked it up and disposed of the threat - so the reason for non-detection initially was my incorrect use of NOD.

I'm pretty sure you (and your "friend") experienced the same thing. Pete

14. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

If and\or when you decide to try Nod again, feel free to ask for support if the need arises. Until that time We'll bring this thread to a close for very obvious reasons to the casual observer, given at this present time you no longer have a need for Nod32 support.

Bubba

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.