"Lost" encrypted partition

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mlarsen, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mlarsen

mlarsen Registered Member

Hi.

I am writing because i have had a problem with the software FreeOTFE (prob self caused :( )

I have a standard encrypted external harddrive which have been working without problems for several years.

Something have happened now, because I have problems connecting to my harddrive using the FreeOTFE software.

- I connect my external harddrive and wait until it has been recognised by windows (7 or xp)
    - Open FreeOTFE software and press "mount partition" - choose the external disk and mark "Entire disk"
    - I then type in my password (which i havent changed for the last 4 months)
    - FreeOTFE comes with an error saying something about that my partition is not an encrypted volume or my pass is wrong

If we assume that my password is correct, and i choose the right harddrive, is there any way to check if my external harddrive still have "door which I can open" with my password ? I dont know how this encryption of a partition works, but is it possible to repair the "door/handle" so FreeOTFE can get acces to partition again ?

I have allready accepted that I have lost the data on the drive, I just want to make sure that there is no possibility that i can get it back.

Kind regards

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

did you check the drive for errors (run chkdsk)?

3. mlarsen

mlarsen Registered Member

I did not try that yet, but I will when i get the chance in the coming weekend. If it comes up with errors or bad sectors, should i then try to repair them or will that just ruin it more ?

It does look like I might have ruined the "door handle" (CDB) to the encrypted disk. What I do not get is how I managed that... :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.