Lost Drive TI 9 latest build

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by 36Greyhair, Jan 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 36Greyhair

36Greyhair Registered Member

I have 2 hard drives with one of them partitioned into drives C and D (Primary). All my program files are on another hard drive G (Master). My problem is I tried to backup my files as normal to my D drive but I received a message that I would have to create more space on the disk (full). I increased the size of my secure zone, rebooted as requested and then found my D drive had disappeared. from view in my windows explorer. I tried reducing the zone size and rebooted. Still missing. I then uninstalled the secure zone. Still nothing. Resorted to uninstalling the program in the hope that my D drive would show up. Still missing. I have the latest updates installed on my Acronis True Image 9. I have re-installed and the secure zone wizard shows my two hard drives Disk 1 with 76.69GB and Disk2 76.33 GB which is correct. I then tried to create a secure zone so that I could try removing by this method but in the process I received an error message E000101F4: Failed to write data on the disk. Failed to write to the sector 0 on the hard disk 2. Anyway I continued pressing cancel and a message, operation successful and reboot. However at startup my drive d is still missing. Can you please help me access my D drive again and have Acronis available to my backups there again. Sadly I had disabled my windows XP restore to an earlier date prior to doing all this.

Before problem in my windows explorer properties.

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 1 ) 41.95 GB 9.20 GB free

d: (NTFS on drive 1) 23.89 GB 9.47 GB free

g: (NTFS on drive 0) 82.34 GB 48.82 GB free

After problem

c: (NTFS on drive 1) 41.95 GB 11.64 GB free

g: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.34 GB 59.63 GB free

As you can see drive d has gone. Please advise and as I only do a full backup of drive g to the d drive can you tell me what approximate space I should allocate the secure zone once we are back up and running again.
    Thanks for any help you can give me.

2. 36Greyhair

Further to my post I have now discovered that the secure zone has been put on the desktop - see attachment. Is this where my d drive has gone as this is the name that I had allocated to my d drive? Really confused now.

Attached Files:

3. 36Greyhair

Is this screenshot of any further help to provide an answer. Thanks again.

Attached Files:

4. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

A couple of observations:
    1. You're keeping your backups on the drive that has the OS. This makes you vulnerable to an OS crash.
    2. You have two hard drives so unless you do automated backups the SZ is not needed and is another link in a chain that could go wrong, which, in your case, has done exactly that.

Unless you think you might accidentally delete a backup, I would not use the SZ and save the backups on the G drive.

5. 36Greyhair

Thanks Ralphie, but my G: drive is where my os is installed and I normally store my Acronis backups on to the D: drive which was on the same hard drive as my C: but this is the problem - my D: drive has gone and it seems to have been taken over by Acronis which I have tried to delete and need to bring back to prior state. I tried installing DDS on a trial and I can see my free space on this as a partition. ie drive c: & drive acronis true image. When I try a recovery the DDS informs me that there are no discs partitioned to recover!!!!!
    I then thought I could just move the space from acronis to drive c; repartition and rename a drive d: However on the trial of DDS it shows that it can be done this way but I would have to purchase to proceed with this operation. There must be an easier way. I seem to be going round in circles as I now cannot even backup my disc to my c: as I do not have enough space on this segment and I am also receiving the error message quoted before.

6. 36Greyhair

Further to my last posts and searches I have downloaded a trial of Acronis Disk Director suite which shows that my D section of the drive was indeed deleted. Before I can recover these parts, see SCREENSHOT, using the suite I must purchase their software. What I now need to know is how could TI allow this to happen? I am still at a loss and it looks as if I am also going to be out of pocket to a tune of $49. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

7. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

I think that having that unconventional drive letter as your boot drive and the fact that you're booting from the non-primary ide channel probably caused some confusion since Acronis itself has a habit of changing around drive letters.
    Perhaps someone else might have a suggestion on how to procede next. Wish I could be of more help.

8. 36Greyhair

Thanks Ralphie, I have received from customer service the following advice which is on the right tracks to resolve the problem. It may be of some help to others.

Please activate internal Disk Management utility (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management).

If you can see there your lost partition, select it, make right-click and assign a drive letter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.