Loss of settings on Proccess Guard reinstall

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Dardasaba, Mar 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dardasaba

Dardasaba Registered Member

Hey,

I reinstalled Process Guard because of minor issues I was having with it, and to my surprise, all the settings I set were lost, including all the files I added to the protection list (around 50 :p) needless to say it was a pain in the a*s to restore, please look into the matter.
    And while I'm here, I think it would save a lot of time and effort if we could add files to the protect list from a running processes list, and add multiple files at once.

Thanks in advance.

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

You can add multiple files at once if you use Drag n Drop. :)

Adding programs from the process list is also on the "wish list" already, it is a good idea. In regards to losing your settings there is some ways to "back" them up, search this forum for pguard.dat if you need anymore help than what I will explain below :-

Backing up Process Guard Settings
    1) Go to your system32 directory (usually c:\windows\system32) and find the file pguard.dat
    2) Copy this file to anywhere else, c:\ is fine or on your desktop
    3) Now whenever you need to reinstall Process Guard, after it has finished installing simply copy the pguard.dat you copied previously to the system32 directory again.
    4) Reboot and all your old settings will be there.

Hope that helps.

-Jason-

3. Dardasaba

Dardasaba Registered Member

Yes, that helps, thanks.
    I just wish I knew that before :p
    Maybe it would be a good idea for the next releases of PG to ask the user if he wants to overwrite existing settings? Might help other people in the future, just a thought.

4. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It is overwritten by default to prevent file format incompatabilities when upgrading to a newer version which might have a different file format. Check the forums before using your old pguard.dat on a new build of PG, I will list in the release whether or not you can keep your pguard.dat.

-Jason-

5. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

It's an easy process to save away pguard.dat and then restore it. However, if a user does NOT know about this in advance of an uninstall/reinstall/upgrade, then the user is stuck with rebuilding the data. As the number of licensees increases, this will/could probably be a source of frequent complaints.

Please consider adding something like an IMPORT/EXPORT option to the File menu of the GUI that allows a user to Export the pguard.dat to a "safe storage" area and then safely Import the pguard.dat file if desired.

The program uninstaller/installer should also have an option that saves away pguard.dat and then reinstalls it on reinstallation of the program.

JMO

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.