losing dns connection with webroot scan

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tigertheboo, Aug 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tigertheboo

tigertheboo Registered Member

1. webroot av and anti spyware had been working fine
    2. new build was released at roughly the same time as july microsoft updates
    3. after which I started losing internet contact
    4. worked with isp and swapped several modems, no help
    5. did more checking -- router modem was connecting to isp no problem, could type in numbers of web sites, but the dns conversion was not working
    6. observed carefully running a machine with no activity other than to check it accessed the internet it did; then webroot did its automatic scans and immediately afterwards internet contact was lost
    7. replicated the above on 2 of my 3 machines
    8. to restore internet simply have to reboot modem router but it is a bother
    9. tried reinstalling webroot several times after a real clean uninstall, no help
    10. any ideas would be appreciated

thanks

tiger the boo

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

not sure webroot is to blame. if you remove/deinstall (temporarily) it does the issue persist?

3. tigertheboo

have not run computers for long periods without protection, but the problem occurs only after webroot has run.

On several occasions, I have only one computer on and internet connection is fine; after I test the internet, I simply let the computer sit there then I watch webroot run, and while it runs the internet connection totally disappears.

when several computers are on -- I've watched webroot start on my laptop (that I'm not using, it is just one) while working on my desktop. Within a few minutes of the beginning of the webroot scan the internet connection disappears (and can be brought back by simply rebooting the modem)

I am not willing to run machines naked without security protection while testing the internet

I have though removed webroot, seen that I did have full internet connections, then reinstalled webroot, allowed it to do its initial scan and watched the internet disappear. And, then reappear on reactivating the modem

In its short scans webroot only scans files that have been changed and not every scan of webroot brings about the collapse of the internet but since I started observing I only lose the internet after the webroot scan or to be more precise after webroot starts scanning and has scanned whatever it scans first.

Have replicated this on two separate machines.

Reason I started looking at webroot is there was one incomplete thread linking webroot to this problem on a microsoft page.

4. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

5. tigertheboo

6. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

which webroot product do you have and does it include firewall (the firewall could be causing the issue)? as for the router logs what router model do you have?

7. tigertheboo

No I do NOT have the firewall. Just webroot antivirus with anti spyware. Ir was that post that made me start experimenting with webroot after the isp provided me with two new routers just in case.

I just called my ISP (a local company) and asked about accessing the router.

They very politely told me don't do so (hinting that I could screw up something royally).

my router is zoom x6 ver 2.04.00 made by xavi

My current strategy is (a) wait to see if webroot support comes up with other ideas (b) wait for new build of webroot and if problem persists take web root off of my system and then install MSE and see what happens.

What I am certain of is the problem only occurs immediately after a webroot scan

off to my meeting

again thanks

8. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

when you scan with webroot only that one machine being scanned is affected losing connection, the other can access the net fine? Did you try repairing network connection rather than restarting the modem (how to do it varies from OS to OS)

9. tigertheboo

all machines lose contact with the internet after webroot scan on either the netbook (win7) or the laptop (vista business)

internet connections are lost on all machines. internet connections stay off until router is rebooted. Meanwhile the intranet connections between the machines at home work fine.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

same here in 64 bit system lost conection and regain conection untill unistall;)

11. tigertheboo

I've installed and uninstalled (using full webroot programs to uninstalling) 3 times and the problem persists

did you take webroot off entirely or did it work when you reinstalled it

thanks

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i uninstall it completly:D now i am ok,ofcourse without it :)

13. tigertheboo

There is a reasonable chance the problem has been sort of solved.

In the July build of webroot they added a feature as part of an advance antivirus scanning that would query the web any time webroot was in doubt.

Apparently this feature is over acting and overwhelms the router.

By unchecking the box that enables this feature, the problem seems to have disappeared.

on my 3 machines 2 had the box checked and they were the machines crashing the internet. the machine in which the box was not checked did not crash the web.

Took several weeks to get this far. First, thought it was a sick router and then had to go through two levels of webroot support. Their second level figured out the problem in about two days.

hopefully the solution will hold but need to test for a few more days

thanks for the help on this list

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.