loooking for something to run along side PG free

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by iceni60, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i have PG free, would it be a good idea to have something else run along side it? i was running AbuseShield but not now. i have run hardenit and secureit and other patches wwdc.exe etc.

are there any freeware programs i should have? i was thinking of AntiHook and Snoopfree, what do you think? thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

afaik pg free doesnt have teh hook blocking, memory protection etc. so antihook would be ur best bet. as for snoopfree, im not very fmiliar with it so i dont know if it would be necessary or just overlap with antihook.

3. StevieO

StevieO Guest

Hi iceni,

Have you had a look at Online Armor ? Also what about SnS and Prevx as well. Do you know about Samuri too ?

StevieO

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

iceni is looking for freeware so thats a no for SnS and OA tho prevx does have the home version.

5. Hi iceni60, it would be good for you to install Anti Hook alongside with PG free and PrevX, they work fine for me wit XP.

6. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I just run regdefend with processguard and have never had a problem with this setup.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, thank you for replying in this thread :)

i have tried Prevx twice and it doesn't work very well on my computer.

i have downloaded AntiHook, but when i went to the free registration page and filled in the 3 boxes, when i clicked the agreement box, the next page said something like page does not exist, and i haven't received an email from them. i have sent them an email to let them know, so i'll see what happens, i hope i can use it. also i downloaded it twice and there were two different versions. one is 630 KBs and the other is 1,403 KBs.

i don't really know about Samuri, i'm going to have alook for it.

also i found this program called Spy-The-Spy here is the link about it:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=86932

what do you think about it? thanks for the help.

8. hitch

hitch Guest

I would definitely go with AntiHook. It's top notch app that is almost as good as the Process Guard full version. It does have some very basic registry protection too, which even PG full doesn't, and just wait till the next release of AntiHook, it looks to be even better. ;)

It probably wouldn't hurt to run Snoopfree along with them if you wanted too, but not because you have to.

Also there are other free IDS programs like WinPatrol and SSM available, if for some strange reason you don't want AntiHook. But good luck if you choose SSM, it has given me nothing but headaches. Better to go with WinPatrol over SSM imo, till a new better running version is released.

Spy-the-spy does look interesting. It doesn't look like it's really too good though for most users, unless they really know what their doing. It's sounds like you could really screw up your computer or programs with it, somewhat like the same way you could with Hijackthis. But if you know your stuff it looks like it could be helpful.

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

A couple totally off-topic posts have been removed - getting a bit old isn't it gents? I think that's about enough and we can all start to remain on the thread topic now.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, thanks for all the help, i'm going to use AntiHook, i just hope it wont slow down my computer. i have used SSM in the past and it worked fine, i didn't like having to reinstall it every few months.

if i have any problems i'll go to the other thread, thanks again.

11. shek

shek Registered Member

I run PG free with jetico ( firewall with antihook and memory protection) and MJ registry watcher ( registry and key system files monitor, not real-time). They work fine in my system and have never had a problem. all three programs together use around 15mb memory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.