Looks like Kaspersky 2010 has gone gold

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by QBgreen, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

Just downloaded and installed yesterday the build .459, GUI and functional look greater than KIS2009. Anyone can provide a best security and functional configuration of KIS2010 for a windows xp box?

2. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

with regards to Safe Run sandbox are you running UAC ?

3. Julian

Julian Registered Member

No. Are there compatibility issues I don't know?

I hate Vista's UAC, the one of Seven is alright.

4. tonyf1971

tonyf1971 Registered Member

not that I am aware of, but wasn't sure currently on win 7 x64 and KIS 2010 isn't supported so I cant test the sand box myself despite installing and most module's working ok, its access denied / object not found etc when trying to safe run with UAC on or off

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I uninstalled 2009 and installed 2010, but am having to use the trial key. It will not accept my key that is good 'till May of 2010.

I went to the site and was able to download a key after I put in my Systweak activation key, and was able to d/l a zipped file which contains the commercial key.
    However, I don't know how to get that key from the zipped file to 2010. When I browse I cannot find it.
    I suspect this is not a very good description as I am in the slow group here.

When I went back to 2009 it accepted the Systweak key, and then I installed 2010 over it, but again it does not accept the key.

Maybe this is a result of first day growing pains, and in a few days it will accept my key.
    Am I doing anything wrong?

Thanks,
    Jerry

6. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Just installed KIS2010 a tad bit disappointed. Looks KIS2010 only comes in two modes/flavors:
    *Paris Hilton ( Dumb default mode )
    *Robo Cop (Advanced mode )

I would have liked something in between. For ex: Some of my printers drivers/files don't have sig. on them. So they are by default put into Low-Trusted. But on first glance, there seems to be no way (unlike KIS2009) to manually change the app to trusted group.

Also I want to disable internet connectivity for some my Logitech app, which keep bugging to download a new version. Which is buggy. Earlier I could edit the particular rule for this app and disable its ability to connect to the net. But now everything is locked down in default install.

:cautious:

7. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

But one for all means that when users set Yes once, KIS is going to set that application is fixed with that rule for all then, whereas Online Armor features allowing users to enlist which ones are there in the list, not one for all set. Hope you understand what I means at.
    When KIS and Outpost Suite warn users an application asking permission of reading memory allocation of another process, if users go with YES, that application now is set YES to privilege of reading memory of any processes.

8. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

We have one key working on KIS2008, KIS2009, and now it works on KIS2010.
    KIS2010 seems not seeing KIS2009 installed on the box, so no upgrade is in place; and we had to have KIS2009 uninstalled and then installed fresh KIS2010 with the same key.

9. Xitrum

Xitrum Registered Member

Running KIS2010 lastest build, we saw something seem issues?
    Firefox is automatically recognized as TRUSTED application by KIS2010 as other security suites do. When We manually set FF to high-restricted zone, we can saw all trusted privileges (defaults to TRUST zone) still stayed with FF then.

10. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

I've just bought two-year license of KIS 2009 for two PCs, and the license key works just fine in KIS 2010. The 2010 version is really lighter and does work more stable than the old versions. Btw, i'm using Windows 7 (32-bit) build 7100, i haven't come up with any compatibility issues so far.

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

no its not:-go in to "my security zone" and click on "application activity" in the window that then comes up change option in little drop down window to "all" you can now edit what permissions etc every app has

12. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

Thanks, I was going through Settings Tab as in KIS2009.... God, why can't everyone be like McAfee. ( Same GUI since 1985 :D )

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Opera 32 bit works with Vista 64 bit and Kaspersky will sandbox Opera. Problem solved.:thumb:

14. fce

fce Registered Member

i just update from 2009 to 2010....

1> anybody experience a problem with sandboxie3.38 and KIS2010?
    2> under Run Safe, do i need to add Firefox by "Browse" because FF is not listed on "application"(?)
    3> any advise if i can run sandboxie together with KIS2010 Run Safe...or just uninstall Sandboxie?
    4> any other "major" issue for KIS2010 which are not yet fix ?

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I still can't get my activation code recognized on either machine. Each is good until May 2010, but not accepted.
    Accordingly, I have gone back to 2009 and will probably stay with it until my key expires. I don't think I am at any greater risk.

I have tried uninstalling 2009 and installing 2010, and installing 2010 over 2009 with no success.
    I am not very knowledgeable and not able to trouble shoot.

Regards,
    Jerry

16. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

I've tried the same thing with no success. I went back to NIS :(

17. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Whizard answered the question on the KL forum. He said that v2010 is not released in North America yet, and the activation servers are not accepting codes.

I will try again when it is released in North America.
    Hope this helps. I am sure we are not alone.

Regards,
    Jerry

18. Dark_Hanzo

Dark_Hanzo Registered Member

Thanks sir :) I'll wait a few more days. I am sure the new Kaspersky is worth waiting for.

19. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

20. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

21. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Yes. Use KAV and KIS on your own risk on Windows Seven, also proactive defense and program control don't work correctly (Yes, even if all lights are green and no seeable errors occur!).

22. mevcit

mevcit Registered Member

Hmm, i see. Then maybe i should switch to avast! and Windows Firewall (with Windows7/Vista Firewall Control) for a while again.

Thanks.

23. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've started a trial with KIS 2010.

(Windows XP Home Edition service pack 2, 512 MB RAM, currently connecting to the internet without a router)

First a few comments, then a few questions.

I downloaded KIS 2010 (non-English version) without the parental controls.
    The GUI looks ok, but a bit too much McAfee-like. :eek:

Both the GUI and the inner workings of KIS seem significantly different from KIS 2009.

I have set the security settings a bit higher than default.
    On this 5 years old system, there is often a brief but noticable delay when accessing a webpage. It's OK.

Supposedly there is a HIPS in KIS 2010, but if there is one, it's not like one I've ever seen. Possibly related to the firewall issues ?

Questions:
    Kaspersky gives you the option to set how 'detailed' a scan with the various components is. However, they offer surprisingly little information about what the various settings do, there are only statements that selecting a higher than default 'detail' will consume more resources. Is anyone able to elaborate ? Someone on this forum criticized Kaspersky's heuristics. Is a higher than default setting worth it ?

The firewall: this one is complicated. I don't want a firewall that basically is in full automatic mode, allowing trusted components to dial/phone out at will.
    By default, Adobe's Acrobat Reader and some other stuff is trusted, and I can't figure out how to block access or let KIS ask me for permission for outbound connections. I'm used to a firewall prompting 'do you want to give this program outbound access', temporarily or permanently. I can't figure out how to make a rule to block a program with KIS 2010. I see stuff like outgoing TCP stream, UDP stream, DHCP etc.
    I'm not used to iptables or snort rules :blink: .

If anyone can give me an example how to block, for example, outbound access for the Acrobat Reader, I'd really appreciate it. I really can't have a firewall that allows programs to phone home at will.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  24. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

If you want all trusted applications to ask you for internet access: settings - firewall - configure rules - see first screeny
    if you want to manually disable some trusted application to access internet: settings - firewall - settings - see sec. screeny
    If you want to above rules work properly you must be sure you unticked: "select action automatically" in first tab of settings (protection)

2.71.png

2.7.png

Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  25. Zetelo

Zetelo Registered Member

I just installed KAV 2010 and I'm very impressed! It is really light and the interface is simply brilliant. A big Thanks ! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.