Looknstop; why the bad English ? To be trusted ... ?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Fly, May 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've noticed on their website, under 'features', that the English text seems sometimes somewhat artificial/forced, and I noticed two plain errors in the text, possibly typoes.

And elsewhere everything isn't 100 % either.

It seems there is an English and a French version of their website.

Is my assumption correct that the firewall was created by a French company, and that they were just sloppy in creating an English version of their website ?

Such sloppiness suggest carelessness regarding more than just the text on the website, one can see this as a lack of professionalism.
    o_O

<EDIT:I didn't know there was a special section for this product on this forum. I originally posted this in the other firewalls section. I see this post has been moved.>

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, the developer and support team for LnS is French, and their biggest market is among French speaking users. That's why we made an exception to our "English only" forum rule when we offered to host the Official LnS Forums here.

LnS is the dedicated firewall product hosted here at Wilders Security, and therefore the name "other firewalls" refers to all firewall products other than LnS. (That's actually the reason for the word "other" in each of those section names, i.e. other than the dedicated product for that product type.)

3. Gez

Gez Registered Member

First this ...

and then this ...

That, of course, should be "suggests", given that sloppiness is singular. So you're in no position to pass judgment on the English of non-native speakers.

As for the substantive issue you raise, I can assure you there is no slovenliness about the Look 'n' Stop team, or their firewall; they are quick to respond to calls for support here, and their firewall is one of the best I've tested, and I've tested many. I'd much rather use their firewall and put up with the poor English you write of than use a firewall developed by native English speakers and put up with a bug-ridden resource hog.

What impresses me most about LnS is that there have been relatively few updates over the years, in contrast with other popular firewalls, patched, it seems, every other week. This suggests to me that LnS was designed well at the very outset, and needs very little adjustment after all these years, whereas firewalls developed by other, "English-speaking" companies simply get by on one patch after another to keep themselves limping along.

I know which of them I prefer.

4. egghead

egghead Registered Member

Nice roasting :D

5. swami

swami Registered Member

Fly, not everybody's mother's tongue is english. In my native language we call people like you "comma ****ers".

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Do we have to make a whole thread out of this ?

It was my intention to drop the matter, but since people have continued to post ...

First, I originally put this thread in 'other firewalls', not knowing that there was a dedicated section for this product.

Second, my mother tongue isn't English either.

I made one or a few typoes in my post. It's just a post !

LooknStop's presentation on this forum is something completely different. If I owned LooknStop I would want any official publications on this forum or elsewhere to be in perfect English. How hard can it be ? Hiring a good translator isn't worth the money ? That just makes you question the value of the product. Perfectly natural.

If you're okay with this, I'll end this thread here and now.

7. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

You seem to be filled with your self importance:-it is not your "place" to end this thread!
    Any software developer can have a website that contains terible English as far as I'm concerned:-I'm not bothered about their grammer as long as they produce a good product!:-you really need to stop "nit picking"!
    I'd rather any SOFTWARE company spent money on SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS rather than translators

8. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Do you think that PERSONAL criticism is really appropriate, especially in a forum like this ?

And your assumptions are incorrect, regarding my presumed feelings of 'self-importance'.

My 'place' ? I was just suggesting to end this thread, since it served no further purpose, and as I understand it personal quarrels are not allowed on this board.

From a company I expect a professional presentation on their own website, if that's too much to ask it's only natural to question the product and the company.

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

The way you worded your post wasn't a suggestion to end the thread it was more a statement:- "I will end this thread here and now":-still not your place to state that
    I wasn't really being personal but if you care to take it that way that's up to you,I just can't understand you criticising a non-english software company on the standard of english used on their website,seems like being overly picky or just criticism for the sake of criticism:-not personal quarrel with you just a quarrel with your views on a website which for all you or I know may have been a literal translation from its native tongue
    If a companies website doesn't fill you with confidence in their product,don't use it and if you want to be helpful contact them and point out their grammatical errors on it,don't slag it off in the user forum of the product,that doesn't help at all,does it?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  10. Fly

Fly Registered Member

You really have your own way of looking at things.

I´ll stop posting in this thread.

You can have the last word if you like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.