LooknStop-GUI_Exit-Protection.exe *NEW*

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Phant0m, Sep 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

2. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

How does this utility actually work Phant0m?

Do tools that try to exit the GUI of a program looking for something static in the titlebar (like the name of the program)?

How come the utility no longer works after a reboot?

The animating toolbar does look cool though :)

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Actually there are many different ways of exiting Applications, this here particular utility (GUI_Exit) doesn’t attack Look ‘n’ Stop process but instead uses Sendkeys to-do what I call an App-Friendly shutdown. Doing what it does I’m uncertain if PG offers security against it. Also using this way it can easily be made to alter application settings, make rules for instance or deleting rules and so on.

Yes this way looks for static titlebar name to retrieve handle for an application, there are other ways to go about protecting an application against this form of attack.

This here GUI_Exit-Protection Utility doesn’t insert itself into the start-up group, if the user wishes to use it on a regular bases they going to have to insert it to the start-up group themselves.

Yea, you aren’t the only one to say that.

4. MaxCr

MaxCr Guest

Hi,

Quite interresting, I'm sure that there's more then one way about it... is it possible to have the service of LNS to be unloaded which would terminate Looknstop all in it self and also aside from that I've notice that there's a loaded driver there should also be a way to have that removed rendering the application and the users computer defenseless?

regards,
    Max

5. tuatara

tuatara Registered Member

This problem can also be solved with Process Guard

6. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I'd like to see a screen shot of PG in stoping the utilitie

regards,
    Fluxgfx

7. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Hi,
    I wanted to take the screenshot, but didn't succeed:
    I have set up protection for LnS in ProcessGuard, but somehow the "exit" demonstration tool does not exit LnS without PG even kicking in (at least not that i could see). LnS just minimizes and PG notifies me about LnS_Exit.exe having been allowed (manually by me) to start. Could it have to do with me starting LnS with its service utility?

8. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

9. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

here it is then.
    The gui-exit version this thread originally referred to wouldn't work (LnS would just minimize), but Phant0m kindly dropped me a link to an update. Now here is PG handling the update's attempt to shut down LnS (with CMH enabled on it).
    CU,
    Andreas

Attached Files:

10. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Hi Jazzie,
    We've still not been there. seems I never get things done all from my own.
    :rolleyes:

CU,
    Andreas

11. Jazzie1

Quick ANdreas, hit cancel twice and see what happens!!! ;)

I hear you!!!

Take care
    Jazzie

Last edited: Sep 28, 2004
  12. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

I can't remember for sure if I had to hit cancel twice or once, but I did it and nothing happened - LnS continued as if nothing had happened. (But I'm on a more recent PG3 beta, so there might have been improvements there.) I will re-try tomorrow again to make sure, but I'm pretty certain now already (except for once-or-twice-cancel-?).
    (I've also noticed that on another one of my apps the peculiar behaviour of PGv2's CMH has disappeared and is now working correctly - so there is hope ;) .)

CU,
    Andreas

13. Jazzie1

Hi Andreas, I know we are getting off the topic a bit, but yeah, if you hit cancel twice then the CMH dissapears and so does the app you are trying to close, so I will wait till it is fixed before even attempting to use it as a security tool. Because I am sure that is the biggest week point a malware writer will shoot for... But, I am confident Jason and team will work it out! Just was hoping/thinking it would have been fixed by now. Seeing it is that noticeable!! Don't you agree? Or do you have another opinion/theory? :)

CU
    Jazzie

14. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

I've just re-tried it, and it's apparently fixed now. I cannot reproduce what you describe. Maybe you want to try tomorrow's beta yourself?

Cheers,
    Andreas

15. Jazzie1

Well, they must of through something together real fast to fix the issue, because it happened yesterday, not tomorrow!!! (just kidding, not everyone jump on me at once!--Geeees!!!:D ) It is great they could provide support and fix issues that users request... I just wish Frederic would do the same with the issues I have here in LNS (No disrespect intended !!!!) I just notice that the customer support here is rather "slim" by nature........

Take care
    Jazzie :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.