looknstop.exe wants to connect

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by aagfr, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

Does looknstop.exe require internet access? I had it set to 'allow" in application filtering; but hadn't really noticed until now. So I've changed it to 'blocked'. So far I haven't noticed any problems; but ....

If the version-update option is not enabled, why does looknstop.exe ask to connect?

Sorry if these are questions with obvious answers; I'm sure I don't understand almost all of this. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

2. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

I thought that LnS needs to check the DNS server to solve IP address names in your log file.
    Just checked: on my new system there is NO LNS entry in the application filtering, although "solve IP address names" is active in the options window :doubt:

Strange :(

Thomas

3. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Not really, not if ‘DNS Client’ service is still active, so svchost.exe would be what needs the permission, now if ‘DNS Client’ service is disabled, look ‘n’ stop process would be needing permission.

4. aagfr

aagfr Registered Member

Yes, thank you both. I had disabled DNS Client service; that accounts for the requests made by looknstop.exe to connect.

Is there some advantage/disadvantage in allowing DNS Service Client, as opposed to the looknstop process, to be responsible for solving IP names? In other words, which one is best to use; or is there any real difference?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.