LookNStop and PestPatrol

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by puff-m-d, Apr 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello all,

I am trying out LookNStop and have one problem.  I am using the latest version (2.03 beta 03) with the enhanced ruleset.  When I try to do a PestPatrol update, LookNStop blocks it and I get an update failure.  As I am new to writing rules, I am having trouble making one that will allow this.  I also do have the PPUpdater authorized under application filtering.

If anyone can help me with this, I would be much obliged.

Regards,
    Kent

2. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Next time you try your update, go to the log screen and LNS will show what's being blocked. Click on it and then hit the create a rule button.

3. puff-m-d

I have tried that but no luck.  It creates a rule for a particular port, but the port keeps changing.  The only way I have been able to get it to work is by disabling the rule that is blocking it (TCP : Block incoming connections).  I wonder if anyone else that uses LookNStop with the enhanced ruleset and PestPatrol has had this problem and how did they fix it?....... I am at a dead end.....

Regards,
    Kent

4. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi Kent, if i remember well PP wants the ports 5000-5010 allowed for updating. Willb dig for that, as my FW made the same problems.

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

6. puff-m-d

Hello all  :D ,

I just posted the question on the PestPatrol forum.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,
    Kent

7. Soul_Flame

Soul_Flame Registered Member

puff.....this is a bit offtopic, but may I ask why you're demoing LnS if you already run Kerio?  The reason I ask is I'm now demoing different firewalls and I'm demoing LnS right now.  From what I read, If I decide to go with a rules based firewall I'd probably go with LnS, but I'm wondering how it compares to Kerio.

8. puff-m-d

Soul Flame,

I really like KPF, but am always hearing great things about LnS.  Kerio has always passed all tests I have thrown at it with flying colors and is simple to use.

I had another problem today with LnS and my ISP.  I kept having problems connecting.

By the way, LnS passed all the tests I could throw at it too.

I have made the decision to uninstall LnS and go back to KPF.  I really like it, it works great, does all I need it to do, is simple to use, and is FREE  :D for personal use.

Hope this helps you some.  If I were you I would definitely give KPF a try before making a final decision.

Regards,
    Kent

9. Harold Fulks

Harold Fulks Guest

Go here: http://itsec.commontology.de/firewalls/lns/lns-rules.html and use the Allow FTP rule and then place it just below the Block Land Attack Rule or you can just load the Standard rule set whenever you want to update Pest Patrol.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.