LooknStop and NOD opinion

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by kajordo, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kajordo

kajordo Registered Member

Hi everybody,
    I've used many firewalls in recent years, maybe 10 different types. But every time I returned to Zone Alarm Free, the reasons are different (case by case).
    Looking in Wilders Security I've discovered LooknStop (and NOD).
    Every expert here seems to prefer NOD and LooknStop to anything else.
    My experience is that I've for one year used Kaspersky and Zone Alarm in conjuction with other security programs without any problems, only some (2 in one year) spyware annoyances caused by my sister using Explorer with my user login (but I've finally convinced her to use Firefox and instructed how to use Spybot and the rest of programs, now no problems).
    But convinced that the experts here are better than me in security matters, I've tried NOD and LooknStop.
    Not only compared to KAV, but to the majority out there, it is one of the worst antivirus ever tryed.
    With KAV everything is smooth, quick.
    With NOD system slowed down enough to irritate me alot!
    It updates not exactly to the latest update shown in the site, for example i see in the site that there is the update release 1.992, but my NOD says that it has 1.990 and if I check for updates it says it is up to date, hmmm very very good behaviour. KAV updates every hour if I want (normally I set it to update every 3 hours) and it never failed to.
    The IMON thinghy turn off every time I restart.
    Another issue.... It said to me that a program I use hav an unknown virus, ok maybe it has, but I've checked it with KAV, and online tools from Panda, Symantec, and others. For them no problem in that program.
    Never had false positive from KAV, and I surf VERY dangerously (in dangerous sites).

Ok, now LooknStop.
    It is terribly slowing down my computer, every thing I want to do is slowed down so much that I want to fire at my PC!
    It blocks anything, it has a learning mode af a fish.
    Paranoic firewall.
    It only get my surfing/internet utilization irritating/slow/annoing.

Only my opinions.
    I returned to Zone Alarm + KAV and i've back my Ferrari working, and protected very well.
    Bye

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Since this isn't a support issue for LnS, it will be moved to the Other Firewalls forum.

3. kajordo

Ok sorry, I thought it was about LooknStop opinions, and not only for supporting it.
    :p

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hi kajordo

In regards to NOD32, if I were to recommend NOD32 or KAV for user on slow system it would be NOD32, NOD32 does have it slowdown periods but unlike KAV it does use less system resources. Even though NOD32 has really good detection rate I would recommend KAV for business systems for the wider range of detections.

Do you have large collections of Audio and Video files stored on the HDD? Have you tried including specific filetypes from NOD32? Also have you installed DIVX codec at some point?

You are right about an updating anomaly; number of people has experienced this very problem, maybe you should address this in NOD32 forum?

-

In regards to Look ‘n’ Stop, the problem you experiencing corresponds with improper setup.

5. kajordo

Since KAV is good for me it think I'll use it against NOD, using the second for scanning time to time.
    Yes I have an extremely big number of multimedia files (mainly music).
    But NOD is good in scanning is more quicker than KAv, but with KAV i think I'm more secure, also because it is better as an antitrojan (not the only one in my system, of course).

LooknStop...
    It is any good reason to use it against Zone Alarm?

I mean, my system is always in good shape, maybe too much effort to configure LooknStop and get no much more. Yes LooknStop is the best but as I know Zone Alarm is not far behind, and miles better than any other (together with Outpost, but also Outpost slows down my system).

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

kajordo,

Your observations are not the usual ones seen with NOD and LookNStop. Generally both of these security programs run very light on most systems and both are invariably listed when low resource AntiVirus/Firewalls are needed.

My only suggestion would be to try these two again when you have a 'clean' system. This is because previously installed security programs, if not properly uninstalled, may cause some of the signs you are seeing when trialing new software.

In particular firewalls are known to be very sensitive to the 'debris' remaining of other firewalls and I have found LookNStop to be particularly sensitive in this respect.

However, if you are happy with KAV and Zone Alarm by all means stay with them ;)

7. kajordo

Basically my system was fine, the only thing was tha sometimes Visual Zone crashed, so I've decided to change the firewall, as for KAV, its license expired, so I installed NOD32 to try it.

As now I manage 3 computers, one has KAV + Agnitum Outpost, another NOD + LooknStop and the other one KAV + Zone Alarm.

The one with NOD and LooknStop it's completely different computer from mine (mine it's a 4 years old desktop and this is a Notebook 6 month old), and it's not mine but my friend's. Besides they are completely different computers NOD + LooknStop in this computer don't work fine. The same behaviour as in mine: LooknStop eating down resources toghether with NOD, blocking Firefox from accessing to the net, needing a complicated configuration to allow it to do so. Basically if you have LooknStop, ProcessGuard and TeaTimer (form Spybot S&D), you can become mad and is better to not connect to internet for your brain's health.
    Not saying that in the notebook NOD also updates to 1.990 definition version, besides there is (for example) the 1.994 update in the site. So it's not my computer problem, it's NOD problem.

In the other KAV + Zone Alerm works as I know they could work... very good.
    In the one with KAV and Outpost (I'km doing it for testing the latest version) the same behaviour... very good. I remember that Agnitum + KAV (one year ago) with my PC didn't worked well, but it seems that know they are friendl.y.

8. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

If you using official rule-set, the problem most likely has to do with you denying applications launching rights and connecting rights when you should be actually authorizing them. I also know that Look ‘n’ Stop poorly designed in particular case blocked applications uses memory and every time the blocked applications attempts to access client environments Look ‘n’ Stop would eat bit more memory every time, also packet logging can take up memory in addition. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.