Looking to try a new AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well ESET and Webroot is the only ones I can use on my PC (others don't match their performance) if that answers your question about that you don't think that ESET really is that light. Reason I say this is that I know that you are an WSA user ;)

But lately I have keept ESET since I have no isues with it.

2. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Just look at my Avatar...try it...you won't regret it :D

3. guest

guest Guest

Frankly I was referring to "performance tests" (of some organisations) that I had in mind. - IIRC (!) WSA was always at the top with no competition in (near) sight, but I could be wrong. ;)

Yes and if ESET is really as light and fast as Webroot (I mean exactly the same thing!?) than I would of course recommend it the same like WSA. - But I believe there can be only one on the performance throne, right?! :D

I saw ESET the last time a few months ago on a laptop of a relative working. Didn't have the impression it would be lightning fast but that laptop had no SSD so maybe THAT was the main reason and culprit. :D

But you are right. If one has no issues with their AV it's a good choice for them! :thumb: - Nothing bothers me more than bloaty hassleware from Dragsoft Inc.! :D

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My feelings exactly.
    Take the pressure off your AV.
    Sandboxie and some other stuff. :thumb:

5. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

If you want free, then Avast or Biitdefender AV Free Edition is a good choice

If you want paid, then Emsisoft Anti-Malware, Avast AV Pro or Bitdefender AV is a good choice

If you want a free Internet Security Solution, then I would go with Comodo Internet Security.

You could go AV-less, but that all depends if you feel comfortable not using an AV.

I say give some free ones a go, as well as some trials...see which one you like best.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

problem with these threads is they are all over the place, me i DO not recc kis its heavy and i have had clients with activation issues lately. as i always say i own a lic to basically every english based av out there and even some that are not. and if you check my sig those are my top three. i REFUSE to use a av if its going to slow me down much. the three i use have little to almost no slowdown. wsa is lightest hands down. eset a close second. avast almost as much but i have to give credit where its due avast v8 is VERY sweet and its still in beta which makes it even more impressive.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

One might consider, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

When I want to change I go to AV-C and see what the detection rates are. I see no reason to select a second tier AV.
    Then I do a trial to see if it works well with my system and the applications I am not going to ditch, like MBAM.

I will usually trial a couple and also read the opinions of more knowledgeable people here.

There are several I have had good luck with in the past; KIS, Avast, Norton, Avira, and F-Secure. My signature indicates my current protection, and have over 6 months left on each.

Contrary to most advice I almost always buy off ebay after checking out the seller. In probably 10 years I have only had one problem when I received just a key. But PayPal got my money returned. I bought Avast from DownloadCrew.

I always thought Eset was too expensive, and so is F-Secure.

It is 'kinda fun to try a new AV once in a while.

Regards,
    Jerry

8. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.