Looking for...

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cvette, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Hi folks. I'm looking for a virtualization software that will remind me before shutdown/reboot if I would like to commit my changes. I had a few many "whoops's" with Shadow Defender and forgetting to bring it out of the live mode.

Anyone know of something out there like this? I tried Comodo Time Machine but that bird never took flight.

2. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

I do not know if such a virtualization software exists, but perhaps you should stay with Shadow Defender and simply try to find a method (script) or a tool that will remind you when you shutdown your computer.

Try to search with Google for example with the words reminder, shutdown. So you can find some useful information.

Take a look for example at the following links:

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Pop-up-reminder-prompt-before-shutdown-t146298.html

http://forums.techguy.org/tech-tips-tricks/744259-solved-windows-shutdown-reminder-message.html

Or you could look directly at some of the numerous reminder tools that you will find for example at Softpedia:
    http://www.softpedia.com/dyn-search.php?search_term=reminder&x=13&y=10

There was definitely a program created for the purpose you are interested in:
    "Shutdown Reminder Pro 1.0" (http://www.pcwelt.de/downloads/tools_utilities/sonstiges/34214/shutdown_reminder_pro_10/).
    But it was in German, it was not free (29 €) and it seems to be not longer available. :doubt: But I am quite sure that something similar will exist.

3. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Thank-you Peter, I really appreciate your reply. I guess I should have gone to more lengths to test SD, I didn't realize how long it takes to commit the changes! Yikes!. Ugh... off to experiment with more virtualization programs I guess, hard to find the right one ya know? Thanks!

4. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Alan, I dont know if this will help you or not,but a couple of tricks I haves used
    to avoid "Duh!!" moments with ShadowDefender,is to set exclusions for those
    folders that are always changing,but never receive internet download content.
    For example the folder I store "work in progress" documents.

I then lock those folders down with blocked file access in Sandboxie.

I do not have to worry about saving my work over reboot then,and the exclusion is relatively safe.

As far as downloads,my desktop download folder is not excluded,nor do I want it to be,as I never want to save anything from the internet, to my real system,without a conscious action on my part.

Running in ShadowMode constantly trains your "save/commit" reflex much quicker than only using ShadowDefender on demand.
    But I know that is the way most people use it.

respect,

rat

5. Cvette

Cvette Registered Member

Hi ratwing, thanks for your post! I am currently still using SD on my Desktop, and Acronis on my test PC.

I'm loving Acronis thus far, it is the best of both worlds, it has the imaging I was wanted in Comodo Time Machine, and the virtualization I wanted in Shadow Defender, PLUS it will remind me when I shutdown! :D

I will keep both for a few weeks and see which one works best for me. And certainly will take your advice about a excluded folder to put everything in.

Cheers mate! :)

6. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Good show Alan!!

respect, Rat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.