Looking for update checking software

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by roger_m, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max2

max2 Registered Member

So which version of Flashget is the best version and where to get it please?

2. Bodhitree

Bodhitree Registered Member

Actually I sent your stuff in to a few AV companies, and now it's being detected as malware, and with good reason. It downloads a trojan in the background, even if you do not accept the license agreement. Might want to fix that man.

3. Bodhitree

I still haven't found the perfect updater, and it annoys me to no end.

I normally prefer Linux Distros, and all of those have FABULOUS repositories and updating systems. Windows is seriously lacking in this category, and it really effects vulnerabilities.

So what do you guys recommend? There has to be something.

4. max2

max2 Registered Member

I seriously agree.

5. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

The perfect updater is Windows Store of Windows 8 ( don't ever install apps outside of it and you will be fine :D ).

Or, if you download all your software from File Hippo, for example, you can (almost) "replicate" the functionality of those "fabulous" repositories. See:

http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Or you could only use software from PortableApps.com (think of it as another "fabulous repository", but a much more fabulous one, because all the apps it provides are portable) and use their fabulous PortableApps Platform which has very interesting update features (better than the File Hippo one in that it can actually "update" - download and install -, not only "notify about update").

http://portableapps.com/download

I'm obviously not seriously recommending you to do that (only use software from X provider) as it would restrict your experience. Just like using only the XYZ "fabulous" repositories of Linux actually do, but you don't notice. Why? Because there are much less "real" options of software for Linux, which make all the good options much easier to get cataloged at some repository of the moment.

What I'm trying to say is: if you download software for Windows from many completely different locations, a perfect updater doesn't exist, because the "universe" of software made for Windows is too large and diverse.

The one that comes closest is SUMo (funny because it's the one you're actually "attacking" by trying to cut its main sponsors!) because it's implemented in an interesting way where all it needs to know about the existence of any app, is one single user that uses both SUMo and the app. The more users, the faster it will know about latest updates. However it won't update for you, it will only notify you of the existence of updates (and in that it is pretty good - mainly because it has an active developer behind it and a large user-base):

http://www.kcsoftwares.com/?download
    (be sure to download the Portable version or the Lite version)

Secunia PSI may be an option as well, as it knows about many apps from different locations and it tries to automatic update almost all of them, however it only does so for security updates that fix vulnerabilities:

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  6. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

In secunia you can manually add programs to be updated so you are not just restricted to vulnerabilities etc.

Interestingly when i used to run kaspersky it would detect the sumo installer as a trojan dropper and remove it.Also the download page does contain spyware links.
    Just an observation.:cautious:

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

v1.73 from www.flashget.com - the download is link is on the far right of the page about halfway down under the title Classic Version.

8. The Red Moon

Is flashget not just a download manager.Just looked on the website and it doesnt mention anything about having an update checker module.

9. roger_m

Have a look at my original post. When you download a file, you can right click on it and check for updates. If an updated version is found it will be automatically downloaded. I used to use it to check for updates to around 200 programs every single day.

10. The Red Moon

Thank you roger m.

11. Bodhitree

12. The Red Moon

Really?
    I knew there were sponsored links in the website which could be avoided by downloading the lite version.
    But the developer is adamant these are needed and says detections by ant i malware apps are fp,s.

13. max2

max2 Registered Member

SUMo and Secunia PSI won't work for Newsleecher though ever :(

I really wish I could get it working but the dumb author refuses to reply. It is such a pain in the butt that one of my programs can't be detected. It feels like I am missing something.

14. roger_m

I don't know why it is being blocked - but it does give a good example of why I refuse to use any software which blocks access to "unsafe" sites.

There was some discussion about FlashGet containing spyware, but that was a number of years ago and for a really old version.

15. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.