Looking for sound recording software.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Close_Hauled, Aug 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

All;

I have a user who needs to create audio files about an hour long. What kind of software is out there for that?

Close Hauled

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Hi Close Hauled,

What kind of audio files, voice dictation, CD ripping/editing .mp3, midi files, music looping/creation?

3. Close_Hauled

We have VHS tape that we want to strip the audio off of and put it on CD.

Close Hauled

4. Devinco

Okay. If you have the SB Audigy2, the Creative Wave Studio will work (included).
    Don't even bother with the built in MS Sound Recorder, it is aweful and featureless. Sonic Foundry Sound Forge is excellent. GoldWave is also good. You will need a big enough hard drive too (audio data gets big quickly) especially if you use a high quality sampling rate like 48kHz 16bit.

Hope this helps.

5. Close_Hauled

Thanks for the input Devinco. I should have stipulated FREE. It's a one shot deal. Sound quality is not important either.

6. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Perhaps you'd like to try Audacity. I like it.

7. Close_Hauled

Thanks, I'll check it out.

8. Vaudeville

Vaudeville Registered Member

I was looking for software similar to this too, so thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll be checking the links out.

9. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Damn!.........Beat me to it...I was going to suggest Audacity.....but if you have Nero and go to Wave Editor.....that is brilliant and very easy to use...I've used it to put tape and Albums onto CD......no problem.....

Cochise, :cool:

10. Arin

Arin Registered Member

dear Close_Hauled, if you want freeware then nothing comes close to Audacity. but if you want to spend some quids then nothing is worth more than Adobe Audition. SoundForge comes second.

11. Snook

Snook Registered Member

One word, Audacity! Audition costs an arm and a leg.

12. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

i presume special cables to the puter are required o_O I have Nero - nice to know i can use it to transfer tape to CD - what about records? Also, does one need special music CD's or o_O I have a cpy of CLEAN for doing record - it removes scratching noise, etc. have yet to try it.

13. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you can regular cd's for about any recording.

14. Devinco

Hi Peaches,

For the cable, you can go to Radio Shack (or other electronics parts store) and get a stereo RCA male to 1/8" stereo male "headphone type" plug cable. That should take care of the physical connection from any line level audio device (with the RCA type plugs) to your sound cards line-in connection. Record players can be trickier. If it is a more recent player and has true line level (1 Volt) RCA connections, then it should work. Otherwise, you may have to go for a fancier setup and hook the phonograph to an amplifier and then hook the cable up to the Tape Monitor connection.
    Of course, records have really lousy quality, so unless it is something that you can't get on CD or it is important to you, I would go for a CD version. There are some very good audio clean up filters as you mentioned, but they can't make up for quality that isn't there.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2004
  15. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

Thanks all for all the good info, shall pass it along to the boss as this is supposed to be his winter project.

16. rbw91

rbw91 Registered Member

Hi there I would be interested in this.

I often listen to the radio over the net using either Realplayer or Windows Media Player.

Is there a free program with which I could record what I am listening to into a suitable file format and burn it to a CD so that I can play it on a stereo?

Answers on a postcard please........

17. Arin

Arin Registered Member

yes there are such softwares but i think it would be illegal if you rip songs from a stream like that.

18. rbw91

rbw91 Registered Member

It's not illegal to record the radio on a stereo using a tape so why would it be illegal to record radio from the net onto a CD?

19. Devinco

I think it would be legal if you are using the CD for personal use and not selling (or redistributing) the copyrighted material.

As far as software to record, the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy2 (besides having great sound quality) comes with Audio Stream Recorder: a program that lets you tune in to the streams and record them. You can even schedule it to record your favorite programs when you're away. But I don't think it is available separately.

20. Valkyri001

Valkyri001 Registered Member

;) Well it's not freeware but there are free versions of it. It's called Magix Audio Studio. The free stuff will do what you want, i use it to burn cd's for the truck. It works pretty good and you can even add your own voice to them if you have a Microphone. Like Devinco said, just as long as it's personal use.

21. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.