Looking for some specific software.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Comp01, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I just bought a new PC, and I am now looking for 3 thins: a good benchmarking program (A free one, possibly?), a good defragmentor (for drives >40GB) and a scandisk program, anyone know of any good ones?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hi Comp01,

That you bring this up, I do recall viewing you're requested items here before.....

From the "The Prince of Downloads" (ICE/iceni60 :D )....EVEREST, system information utility (formerly the excellent AIDA32). Nice recommendation from this thread. ;)

Now I don't run this 'yet' (looks quite good BTW), but Gerardwil swears by it (don't you Gerard :cool: ),
    BUZZSAW & DIRMS for you're defragmentation needs....

Finally (and the key to running native ScanDisk and Defrag really is to close background applications),
    jump over to BROADBAND Reports for some comments concerning you're last program.

ALL FREE !

Best,
    GF

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

For defragmentor and ScanDisk do what GlobalForce says. For system benchmarking there are many apps:

SiSoft SANDRA (never used it myself as I am on dialup and cannot download)
    FutureMark PCMark
    FutureMark 3DMark (graphics card benchmarking)
    ScienceMark 2.0

These apps should be good enough for the job.

Regards,
    Firecat

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't really do any benchmarking, but as well as Everest, PC Wizard can benchmark too. and, i think they are well worth having. between them they can tell you everything you need to know about your PC.

here's the link to futuremark
    http://futuremark.com/download/

and here's something that's still a beta. there is a note that says it may have bugs, so it's up to you :doubt:
    http://www.7byte.com/?page=metabench#screenshots

here's something else by the people that make PCWizard. it's called CPU-Z and it gives you info about your PC. not benchmarking, but it can help if you need to find out what you have
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

there's also somethig called Super-PI which tests how fast you can compute pi. you could do a search for that.
    i use BUZZSAW & DIRMS too. defrag with DIRMS, then put BUZZSAW in startups.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.