Looking for software that offers some technical, less common protection.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Fly, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I still have McAfee Virusscan Plus 2008 on my Windows XP Home Edition computer, but it's only a matter of time till that's gone.

I used to have the 2007 version, in the 2008 version certain things are no longer active by default to put it simply, but I have enabled them again.

Some features I'm looking for, and that the McAfee software provides, and for which I'd like an alternative (not just logging, but also warning/protection):

(Abbreviated version, some examples):
    Windows system guards, examples: protection windows hosts file, winlogon shell, windows protocols.
    Browser system guards: examples: BHOs, toolbars, URL's for internet explorer.
    Program system guards: examples: ActiveX, startup items.
    Also protection of the registry is offered, although a review claimed that things were not really blocked, but if you got a warning and you decided not to allow something the McAfee software would roll things back.

Is there software that can accomplish things like this ? (Money is an issue, but it doesn't necessarily have to be free).

Maybe you'd think that a HIPS would accomplish that, but my past experiences with the Kerio Firewall were not that good. So, I'm looking for software that can accomplish what I mentioned. Preferably without being extremely technical (I still remember a Kaspersky (?) antvirus of some years ago that warned me that something was trying to inject code in a DLL file, and it asked me if I wanted to allow or block that because it might be malware ... too technical, I uninstalled it, performed some scans and no malware was found).

Other software currently installed: Spy Sweeper without antivirus, Counterspy (Sunbelt mentioned that they would try to release a version that also offers protection against viruses in the first quarter of 2008, but what's going to happen remains to be seen.)

Information will be appreciated.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Take a look at Online Armor, it meets the requirements you put forth.

Pete

www.tallemu.com

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'll take a look at it, thanks.

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You could also try WinPatrol though I dont know if it has registry protection.

5. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Comodo will do the same + registry protection but it may be too complicated.

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

ProSecurity & System Safety Monitor do those things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.