Looking for on-demand, 2nd opinion AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by bellgamin, Jan 30, 2016.

1. anon

anon Registered Member

EEK (Runs On: Win 7, 8 & 10)
    =

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I like it but hate the fact that it deletes whatever it finds without even asking you and there is no way to change this behavior( in my case it was a false positive and an important file).

Sadly it seems that its development is stalled as well.

3. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I was not aware of that. In my case Killswitch exitied before it finished running, no doubt due to its excessive RAM usage. A few seconds after launching it, RAM usage on my Windows 10 laptop with 6GB of RAM, rose briefly to 100%. Before launching Killswitch, RAM usage should have been under 50%.

4. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

Let us know your results...and it's good to see you again...don't be a stranger.

5. ichito

ichito Registered Member

EEK runs only above Win 7?...I have EEK still on XP and Vista and it still can be updated.
    I don't see here Crystal Security...I think it's worth to consider, and the nex candidate is Avz Antyviral Toolkit Kaspersky...both are portable.

6. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

7. Magic_The

Magic_The Registered Member

Use this: zemana+mbam+hitmanpro+ emsisoft emergency kit.

8. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

AVZ is more of a removal tool than a second opinion scanner. Signature database included is kept small on purpose, and search logs need good windows know-how to read. Suspicious items can be removed selectively.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hola RR -- love your rooster!

I tried Zemana & SuperAntiSpyware (SAS). Settled on SAS. Zemana is nice but SAS is more accepting of being subordinated to the role of an on-demand 2nd opinion AV. Also SAS has a fairly active forum that seems open to displaying grumbles/problems as well as compliments.

Plus I like the beetle icon that SAS puts in my system tray.

10. Lagavulin16

Lagavulin16 Registered Member

If I recall correctly, SAS's detection rates have consistently performed less than desirable with various testing agencies. And I'll concede that a steep dose of lethargy precludes me at the moment from hunting down and posting links to that effect. Correct me if I'm wrong. Moreover, in my albeit inconsequential opinion, MBAM free would have been a far superior alternative.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Fully agree. MBAM and hitman pro.

12. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I couldn't agree more...

13. siketa

siketa Registered Member

SAS is a good choice for cookies removal....

14. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I was going to say that. :)

15. bellgamin

I get the "cookie remover" humor (tee-hee) --- but seriously, folks: my browser's cookie manager works nicely for that job.

I have Avast & MBAM for 1st opinions. SAS is okay as an on-demand 2nd -- if Avast or MBAM flag a possible nasty, confirmation by a supposedly weak-sister like SAS should carry weight, desho?

How about folks that bad-mouth SAS despite the fact that SAS hasn't been reviewed for quite some time now. Current SAS is 2+ versions newer than the SAS version covered by the latest review I was able to locate. If I missed a recently dated test or review of SAS, I would appreciate a link thereto.

{Of course, some folks don't need a currently valid review in order to talk snidely, right? :rolleyes:}

16. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@bellgamin In my exeperience with SAS, the detection rate it still not good. I don't have any tests to link to, but it is based on my experience using it on infected machines. Maybe detection rates will improve in time. But, there's certainly no harm in using as a seond opinion scanner.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

SAS was very good in its days and those days are gone long ago.

18. bellgamin

Okay, so let's amend my original post to: "Does anyone know of a good on-demand-only AV that has a **decent detection rate** ?"

NOTE: I don't care how good it cleans, or if it even cleans at all. I image at least 2X/week -- restoring a good image is the best cleaning, wot?

19. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Emsisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro and Malwarebytes AM.

Yes, cleaning is not important. Detect and restore is IMO better than trying to clean your system, if it gets compromised. So good detection is the most important aspect of OD scanners.

20. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

I would say Zemana Antimalware due to the use of multiple engines should have a decent detection rate. But since you stated "Zemana is nice but SAS is more accepting of being subordinated to the role of an on-demand 2nd opinion AV", then perhaps go with Herdprotect(Though it is likely to have a lot of false positives)

21. Lagavulin16

Well, Sir bellgamin. You already have MBAM in the fold, so my apologies for the oversight. As other posters have suggested, toss in Hitman Pro and as scanners go with your current set-up that's going to be about as good as it gets.
    The app is obviously well coded in it's effectiveness, efficiency, and ease of use. And I suspect there should be enough "recent" tests accessible to demonstrate that HMP will more than likely satiate your appetite for excellence. Worthy of mention is that the Loman brothers' responsive interaction here with fellow Wilders members show they have a penchant for being fastidious and precise... always a good thing! :cool:

As always, happy hunting.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  22. bellgamin

I shall go with Zemana. 10Q to all who helped.

@ Lagavulin16 -- Loman brothers?

23. anon

anon Registered Member

24. Lagavulin16

In other words, the talented masterminds behind HMP and HMPA.

25. bellgamin

No relation to Willy Loman, I'm sure.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.