Looking For New Firewall To Try

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Trooper, Apr 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Hardly.. Last time I tried the latest Outpost Pro is settled at 20 mb usage, which is not at all low. ZA is much lower, and Kerio 2 and LnS are extremely much lower (in the 4/5 mb range). So I would NOT say that Outpost fits the first item in his list:

1. Low use of memory/resources.

2. hayc59

hayc59 Guest

Kerodo, when was that?

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Just a few days ago.. Tried out OP 2.6.452.403. I have a license. For me it used a consistent 20 mb of ram. So I have to argue when someone says that's "light" on resources.. There are lighter choices... ;)

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

How many plugins were on or not stopped as I think they say? (and I am not going to argue). I never really checked my hunch was that it was about the same as ZAP with only attack, content and DNS running the rest off. ;)

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It was just installed fresh out of the box with the defaults, which means everything on I guess. Perhaps with some of them disabled, ram usage decreases then? That would be good. I had conflicts between Treewalk DNS and OP's DNS cache stuff anyway. OP kept saying that I was sending mal-formed DNS requests, so I had to turn that option off. But I did leave the cache on.

So to answer your question ;) everything was turned on...

PS - I shouldn't have used the word "argue". A friendly discussion is more like it... :)

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

wasn't there something about "turning logging of some components off makes RAM usage go down to 6 or even 3 megs"?
    Try searching around at www.outpostfirewall.com
    I think P2K has posted links up here too. i forget the threads. Sorry.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Ok, that's fine, if you can tweak things here and there and get it down low. But a fresh install out of the box is a little high...

At any rate, I'm using Look N Stop for now, which uses in the range of 3-6 mb ram. One of the lightest...

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

I recall that to get Outpost to swap out of memory you have to open and close the GUI while a connection to the internet (a bowser works) is open. That gets it down to 6MB. Further reductions by turning of logging may be possible, but you can reduce it to zero by uninstalling Outpost, if you get my drift.

My experience with Outpost on a PIII 450 wih 128MB of ram that I use around here for testing is that it slowed down the machine more than any other firewall tested, including heavies like ZA and Tiny 6.x.

9. mercurie

Kerodo and No13,
    O. K. that helps answer my question yes out of the box it was heavy and slowed me down a little. I really think the worst offender for slow downs on any product including OutPost is Ad blockings. I also felt some of the plug ins were not needed for me. So I turned some of them off as I stated.

No13, I think I was drawing on that discussion with P2K, but I do not turn off logging, but I seem to recall plug in turn offs being discussed as well, but perhaps it was on OutPost forums.

10. mercurie

Subject to my post above, this has not been my experience on my Compaq 800mhz Celeron with 256ram, certainly a little more horse power then the one you listed.

Just "uninstalling Outpost, if you get my drift," no outbound control needed discussion...well there is no need to go through all that again... :p

We will just have to not see things the same way on that one. ;)

11. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Kerodo, I am indeed trying LNS again. I just installed a fresh copy this morning. I am using the enhanced ruleset for starters, but I want to look into Phantoms as I understand it is even more secure.

So far its running really light with just the enhanced ruleset applied. I would like to get to know this app better and understand more of the advanced options and what should be turned on and off. I did enable the dll protection tho as I have always felt that its a good thing to have. :D

12. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Try out McAfee's Desktop Firewall once, it's running smooth here, espessially in combination with VSE 8.0i... (I love university admins ;) )

13. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Well, the drift is, or was, if you have to disable a major program function like logging to save on memory, that is a bad trade off. I was just being sarcastic by saying you could follow that line of reasoning and delete more program functions to save on memory until the entire thing was gone.

Only someone who was paranoid would think I was discussing the merits of outbound control. Anyway, I have to go out and mulch the yard with the shredded remains of my junk mail and unredeemed pizza coupons after I get my kids to memorize their 14 character passwords that are changed weekly.

14. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I'm now testing the latest Tiny 2005. And I love it so far. Strange: I now even have more MB's left than I had with for instance LnS and Netveda. And I don't think that my system runs slower or something too.

15. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

@ Edwin: the Firewall of Tiny (without the windows security) is one of the fastest firewalls I have ever experienced, browsing was remarkeable faster then with outpost and certainly uses less resources.

I love the new tiny too...way better then before and even easier to use lol whatever that means in this case...

16. waters

waters Registered Member

Ihave just gone back to look n stop.Of all the ones i have used,i find this the best.I took it off last week,to try netveda but am now back with it.Load enhansed ruleset,and thats it.

17. mercurie

Hmmm, you work out in the garden too.... I don't get that much junk email, but I certainly shread enough to mix in with grass clippings to make some might fine mulch. I also throw out far more pizza coupons then I use too. I could go on about the gardening but I would be so far off topic...stay well Diver. ;)

18. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Eat Pizza, Mercurie, and stay well.

19. Down_Under

Down_Under Registered Member

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Down Under,

I tried Filseclab out too, how is your experince with it so far.

21. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Waters, i agree with you about LnS

22. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

hi arup tried filseclab b4 settling for netveda.i found it to be a very low resource using ,firewall.my only glitch was that there were way too many prompts and i didnt knew what to do.i think for someone with lil knowhow of rulemaking ,it is a very good one..

23. Arup

Arup Guest

Clansmann,

Same here, very nice and low resource firewall which was completely stealthed even with ICS on, however too many prompts like Jetico, I have talked to the developers and they have promised to improve the next version.

24. LiHigh

LiHigh Registered Member

On my system, Outpost(turn off logging and plugins except attacker & DNS) RAM usage is much less than PG, Regdefend, nod32 beta.

25. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

StyleWarz, is that the same firewall they use in their McAfee Security Suite? I tried McAfee SS but did not feel good about the firewall. I can't remember the exact names at the moment, but I think these are close. In Application Settings, all applications were set to Allow Full Access. I would set them to Outbound Only. When I re-booted, most all applications were re-set to Allow Full Access. The ones re-set to Full Access were, all the McAfee apps and Internet Explorer. I was worried that having apps set to Allow Full Access was giving them outbound and inbound access, and server rights. I didn't want to give any app server rights.

I could never get a straight answer about this over at the McAfee forum or from the Live Chat tech support. How do you have yours set up?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.