Looking for more info on AVK ...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kobra, May 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Rokop review link .

January 2004 Roundup had 8 false positives. Take a look @ KAV 5.0 on the far right.

I've been playing around with it. Anyone know what version of the engines AVK is using? System seems to run OK with settings at high. Haven't tried uber high. Scans are around 60 mins.

Only compaint is that the trial has the update feature disabled. Why AV companies do that for such a critical component of the product is beyond me. If I get a virus because the update feature is disabled, what do you think the chances are of me buying the product? :rolleyes:

EDIT - Swapped back and forth between KAV 5 and AVK. System is much snappier with AVK, less time scanning.

Last edited: May 22, 2004
  4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Some of wilders.org screen shots are available right here.
    Engines in use:

KAV engine: AVK 14.0.1004
    BD engine: BD 14.0.349

Some random remarks in regard to AVK 2004:

a) updates do arrive at twice a week (unless outbreaks), unless one buys a (costly) premium service for daily updates, making the software extremely expensive. Furthermore, GData relies on both KAV and BD as for when exactly they get the database goodies to implement. In practice this can take a while.

b) Those interested in POP3 email scanning mostly aren't that happy with the way AVK 2004 has to be set up.

c) Last butr far from least: support is lacking heavily - even phone support. This goes for German support and for certain for English support (we've tried them both on several ocassions.

regards.

paul

5. Kobra

Kobra Registered Member

Paul thanks for the reply... You addressed some of my concerns..

I don't feel like I should have to pay MORE for DAILY updates, so thats good to know right off the bat.

Their support does seem lacking, i've been waiting 2 days for an email back from support with a pre-purchase question. While I understand delays, I don't understand delays when dealing with people that want to spend money with you! So its good to know their support sucks with or without purchasing.

I found some bugs in email scanning on the trial version, some outbound mails were being "Clipped", but since support doesn't reply.. /shrug.

Its a pity, this product has a wonderful interface, great options, and definately supports the regular guy AND the hardcore. With great support, good marketing, and a more reasonable price structure, these guys would have a good thing going! Wonder why they don't?

6. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Kobra,

My pleasure.

As for:

Small firm, targetting the German speaking public from the start. IMHO taking the step to "conquer the world" is a rather big step (as it always is). Obviously, GData isn't that ready in this context. Funding no doubt plays a major part in this. Who knows they will improve in time.

regards.

paul

7. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

They have just added a new English support and free hourly updates recently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.