Looking for info on how to set up VM for net protection

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Inspired888, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inspired888

Inspired888 Registered Member

Hi folks,
    I've been hunting around the net and here in these forums (I've been here a fair bit as a guest, now I have signed up at long last!!) for info on how to use a linux guest virtual machine on windows (XP SP3 in my case), for internet security.

I use a wireless connection, and sometimes an ethernet cable (rare these days).
    This is on a laptop.
    I use Linux as my main OS, but I have to dual-boot into XP for certain apps (Adobe InDesign primarily). I need some limited net access whilst on the XP system in order to browse the net and access email.

What I would like, therefore, is this:
    • The host system (XP) will not have internet access by default
    • It would be handy if it was easily switchable to allow net access, as from time to time I'll want various applications to update themselves. Although I could find and download the updates manually via the linux guest, if necessary.
    • The host will have no firewall (well, just the one built into XP)
    • The host will have no resident antivirus (I will take the necessary precautions to not need the resident AV).
    • The linux guest will be used for email and www

The main issue I have not figured out is how to disable internet access in and out on the Windows host, whilst allowing the linux guest to have full access. How do I set the VM (I am using VirtualBox) to provide networking to the guest when it is disabled on the host?)

I would greatly appreciate some points, specifically in regard to the above in bold.

With much thanks,

Jonathan

2. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

You're trying to do it backwards. Run XP as a guest with Linux as the host and your problem is solved.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

There was a post like that somewhere on the forums, do search and you'll find it. And indeed, if you are really keen on having Linux security, then use Linux. In general, running Windows XP with basic firewall is enough for incoming intrusion protection - and nothing will save you from yourself, even if you filter traffic through 7 routers and BSD boxes.
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.