Looking for HIPS recommendations for 64-bit system

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by mvdu, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

If I don't use Comodo and use AntiVir instead, what HIPS would you use on Vista 64-bit? At least until Avira comes out with their own HIPS. I use Prevx, but that's more like a behavior blocker.

2. yashau

yashau Registered Member

What's wrong with Comodo if I may ask? :)

3. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I still don't know if Comodo's AV is ready, so in case I use the Avira Suite, I wanted to know about options.

4. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

I guess your looking for a classical HIPS and in that case all i can recommend you is Privatefirewall wich has Dynamic Security Agent included and Prevx 2.0 in either expert or pro mode. There might be more but it wont be the populair ones.

5. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

I don't know how efficient HIPS are under 64bits versions of Windows, but I am sure they are not so efficient if you have Vista. Too many things not available to really have a full implementation at kernel.

Why don't you try to take full advantage of your OS first?
    Depending on your version, you can have:
    - LUA
    - group policy
    - srp
    - Windows defender hips enabled
    You have some explanations in different threads here:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Lucy is right, you don't need a HIPS for x64 Vista (if that's the OS you have). You're better off just bolting things down a bit and using your common sense.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Yes, I run Vista 64-bit, but don't trust Microsoft enough to just use common sense and bolt some things down.

8. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I decided to just stay with CIS and Prevx Edge for now, but could I add anything?

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

you are good to go,you are very secure,my only concern is that if you use the comodo antivirus at the moment has some memory leak problemo_O becarefull if you are using it but if you use prevx it is suficient for you;)

10. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Thanks; I know it's free but I have not liked Comodo's response to the bugs being found - but you are right; with Prevx I should be ok for now.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It has nothing to do with trusting MS, but more to do with trusting yourself... ;)

12. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

But I could still make mistakes, and MS is error prone. Just want to cover all bases.

13. yashau

yashau Registered Member

Who said you needed to use Comodo's antivirus to use it's firewall+defense+?
    You can untick the stuff you don't want at installation.

Right now I'm running Norton 2009 gaming edition and Comodo firewall with D+ on Windows 7 x64 without problems. And as far as I know Comodo is the only true patch guard compatible HIPS. The rest are hacked (like ZA) and Outpost Pro conflicts with my RAID driver. Could be wrong about ZA but anyway :)

14. Julian

Julian Registered Member

Although Comodo doesn't use full ring 0 hooking it may be best in real detection. I got no problems with CIS on Vista x64.

Other good HIPS / firewalls with behavior blocker on x64 are Outpost, Jetico and KIS. I personally don't like Jetico and guess the HIPS of the competitors are better.

15. yashau

yashau Registered Member

I tried Jetico once and couldn't uninstall it. Had to reformat the entire system. I would stay away from it. Too buggy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.