Looking for help to back up everything EXCEPT Windows Vista OS

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Cindy62707, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shankle

Shankle Registered Member

Hi Cindy,
    I think (but am not real sure) that Acronis TI
    offers to sell you a CD of the TI. This is way down in the purchase procedure.
    If not why couldn't you save the program somewhere (say in a folder called MyDownload) and then copy this download to a CD for when the
    unexpected happens.

2. Cindy62707

Cindy62707 Registered Member

Yes they do for another $13 on top of the $50 for the program download but if I find it in a local store then it is just the $50.

I thought about that but downloads/copies sometimes have hiccups and I wouldn't want to find out after the fact that what ever I made would turn out to be incompatible with what ever OS I used it on next. Vista has not been very reliable...weird problems seem to appear out of no-where with it...so to rely on it to make my copy is not very reassuring...especially if I can find a boxed version locally.

Cindy

3. oldtimercurt

oldtimercurt Registered Member

Cindy,
    Maybe I missed this suggestion. You can download trial versions of both 11 and 12(2009) and try them out to see if either/both meet your needs.

OTC

4. Cindy62707

Well that is an idea...since I pretty much have made up my mind that I want to buy it no matter what, I wasn't even going to mess with the trial but that might prove interesting in the interim.

Thanks,
    Cindy

5. Earthling

Earthling Registered Member

Download is best Cindy. Register your product and you can redownload anytime you like, and also use it to move up to next build level, and add extras as available on the website. A CD will soon become out of date.

6. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

In addition to downloading I also burn the downloads to CDs and keep a note of the activation serial numbers.
    That way I am covered should I ever want to re-install and the web site is not available.
    One never knows what might happen so be prepared for the worst.

Xpilot

7. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

This suggestion is so obvious that you would wonder why Xpilot or anybody else should need to mention it. Unfortunately, I believe the absence of the download files and serial numbers (for both downloads and bought CDs) is the reason so many people are totally dumbstruck with panic when they realize that they have to reload their OS and apps from scratch.

If anybody cares, I keep all my program downloads and their serial numbers on a HD on a networked PC. To reinstall, I load Windows or a base image, map a drive to the PC, and start installing. You could do this with a USB drive too. Faster than finding and loading CDs and everything is in one place. Yes, I do burn them to CDs as a backup as well.

8. Earthling

I do the same. My 'Downloads' folder is now on an NAS drive, but I also use a sync program to repeat it to a USB drive. Each subfolder has the installation and associated files, serials, and any other notes that will be helpful in the event of needing to reinstall. For those few programmes that came on CD/DVD I create an iso and store it in the same Downloads folder.

Like Acronis itself, having these things is all part of being able to sleep at night ;)

9. Cindy62707

Question...once the program is installed off a box CD is it also allowed to update to the next build or add extras too or only the download version?

Thanks,
    Cindy

10. Earthling

Once you've registered your product you are free to download and use anything included in your licence, regardless of the format you started with. It's just that a CD is pretty pointless, as its only use will be as a coaster once a new build appears.

11. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Given the new build for TI12 that come out recently to fix the disappearing card reader problem it is likely that the whole first issue of boxed TI12's is now obsolete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.