Looking for free "secure" web based email service

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Dundertaker, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Hi guys;

May I have some opinions from you here about free-web-based email service?

Currently I'm using hotmal/yahoo/gmail but as of the moment "cannot" access my yahoo/hotmail accounts. Only the gmail works fine. I'm looking for a safe,secure free email service like gmail that has the capability to be used with Thunderbird and MS Outlook'07.

I tried out fastmail but was saddened to know you can receive mail via Thunderbird but you cannot send outgoing messages.

Can you recommend me a safe/secure web-based email service alternate to hotmail/yahoo mail/ that can be used with Thunderbird/Outlook 07?

Thank you!

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Are you using the latest version of Thunderbird with the webmail plugins? I can send and receive thru my free hotmail account but no imap. Just inbox access.

Free Yahoo is a rebel and the only client it works with is Zimbra but they own it. However cound not get hotmail to work - sigh

3. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Just to name a few.

gmx(dot)com
    lavabit(dot)com
    mail(dot)com
    zoho(dot)com
    safe-mail(dot)net

All free.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I'll add more as i just saw you stressing "Secure". I'm no expert but when they say secure, it's usually in transit only - meaning it is sitting in plain text and can be viewed when sitting in the inbox. Also when you send an email, it is usually passed thru several servers before reaching the receivers inbox and a copy is made and kept on each server it passes thru - again sitting in plain text.

So if you want it entirely secure, your gonna have to use encryption and as i found out, that's a whole new can of worms as my contacts don't seem to realize or care at this point, about email security.

If your interested, i've found a few ways to kinda get around this without bothering your contacts much but still improving your email security. But it ain't perfect :p

5. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

One other thing.

If you liked fastmail, you could upgrade to an ad free account which would get you smtp access.

I realize you wanted "free" recommendations, but to get an ad free account at fastmail it's only $4.95 per year. Almost free!

Fastmail is an excellent service.

6. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

Absolutely agree. I've had a "full" account for years now and would neer think about using any other service. It is that good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.