looking for free low footprint firewall w/few popups

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by nih, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It's only a packet filter. It doesn't bind packets to applications. Outgoing refers to the flow of packets, nothing more :)
    Example: if you allow outbound access to remote ports 80 and 443, they will be used by any application.
    With only 10 rules (or even less) you can have a tight ruleset wich only allows the necessary comms (DHCP rules, DNS rules, NTP rule, browsing rule, mail clients rule, P2P rule, IM rule and blocking rule).

2. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

Thanks for your response. But I'm not familiar with the terminology so it's all greek to me. For now I guess I'll have to settle on Windows Firewall until I can find a simple, easy to understand 2-way firewall (no HIPS) that isn't bloated with add-ons I don't want.

3. lucas1985

Easy to use, 2-way firewalls without HIPS are found in suites like NIS and ESS. Popular firewalls (Outpost, Online Armor, Comodo, Zone Alarm) include a HIPS or HIPS-like features and other functions. Simple, 2-way firewalls like Kerio 2.1.5, Sygate or Filseclab require that you write a ruleset. LnS might suit you, specially with a pre-made ruleset.

4. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Sygate or Kerio 2.15 is what you are looking for, though neither one is still in development or supported but they still do what they need to do and many many people still use them.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2008
  5. Doodler

Doodler Registered Member

lucas1985 and dave88,

Thanks. I did some checking around on the web over this past weekend and your response supports what I've been reading...particularly about Kerio 2.15. I'm tempted to give it a try.

6. mantra

mantra Registered Member

but is good?
    in the leak test? does it score?

7. lucas1985

It's very good. Probably the most user-friendly packet filter.
    It doesn't do TDI filtering (i.e. it doesn't control which apps access network resources)

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

For computer novices, I would not recommend firewalls that require you to write up a ruleset. If your knowledge is lacking, the firewall that you set up may be inadequate, and worst, may allow unintended communications to go unchecked.

9. lucas1985

That's exactly what I intended to say. Perhaps my wording was incorrect.

10. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

He could give these rules a try. :)

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

There is a well known saying that refers to what you stated, but I can't seem to recall it just now. :doubt:

12. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

From what the OP describes, not many firewalls will give you adequate protection without alerts. It's like wanting the power of a V8 engine without wanting to pay for high amounts of fuel, can't happen. ;)

If you're after a high level of protection (a program which functions to a degree like a firewall), something to alert you when there is any 'intrusion' or anything irregular such as an inbound connection, or an unwanted outbound connection, why not try ThreatFire.

Only alerts when there is something 'out of the ordinary', like a malware threat. It functions on its own. When a threat is there, clearly explains what it is. You might only get one pop-up a week, or nothing at all. And best of all, it's free. Might be what you're after. :thumb:

13. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

Online Armor can have its HIPS functions disabled, and there is a free version.

|||

14. 3xist

3xist Guest

Comodo also can have it's HIPS Function Disabled. During Installation or When using CFP it self. When installing CFP 3, Just Choose the Firewall only+Leak Protection.

3xist

15. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Just stick with the XP firewall my friend. It's perfectly adequate. Outbound is just over-rated nonesense. Let your AV/AS whatever it is you use, to detect the bad guys. The fact shes running LUA means there will be f-all bad guys to detect anyway. Saraceno mentioned Threatfire, IMO that would be a good choice in meeting your requirements.

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  16. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

It's very very good. Haven't find better :D I don't care about leaktests.

17. Pseudo

Pseudo Registered Member

I really want to try it out... I hate it's GUI though. :doubt:

18. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Try PC Tools firewall. It is free, based on LnS, won't ask many questions, and will keep you protected. Seems to fit all your needs.

19. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi nih:

Let me declare that I'm currenly a beta tester in the OA forum first.

That said you have a number of options in freebee land.

I have used all of these at one time or another so here goes:

1) kerio the orginal you need to KNOW FW rule logic to firm it up
    2) ZA free
    3) Comodo
    4) PC Tools FW +
    5) OA free

All these are free, 2 way FW's but do take varying footprints like all SW.

Of these IF I was forced to order them for your setup and need for few pop ups ( a bit of a contriction during set up since that is when FW should learn what you want as a user and should pop up)

the order would be

1) OA
    2) PC Tools FW +
    3) ZA Free
    4) CFW
    5) kerio

OA has a hips as well which is nice if you don't have one.

My 1st choice for messing about was kerio but it is no longer "evolving" but it is great teaching tool for those who want/need to learn FW logic.

Trial them on your set up is the only way for you to "know" what is best for you since here on WSF there are as many views as there are posters, whiich is great for learning and debating but you need to drive the car to see if it has enough head room!

Hope this helps.

2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.